Watch "measures" heart rate for more than a minute after I take it off

My watch does not always show my heart rate accurately. I've read the posts and instructions about accuracy. When I notice my heart rate is not climbing as much as it should be when I'm on the treadmill, I take off my watch. It will continue to show a heart rate after I've taken it off and set it on the counter. I thought a short lag made sense. Maybe 20 seconds. I've had it continue to go for over a minute on multiple occasions. It fluctuates the heart rate as if it is reading something. A counter? A towel? 

When my heart rate isn't showing accurately, typically too low for the activity I am doing, I often speed up and then slow down. Often after I have slowed down for a minute or two, it suddenly jumps and more accurately reflects it. This I can deal with but when it won't adjust and I take it off to find it still making up data, I don't trust the accuracy at all. 

• Optical HR technology is still far from perfect, and it is fairly common for inanimate objects to show heart beat. This is not even a garmin-specific thing. Multiple similar reports can be found on the internet, along with some explanation.