Venu Sq 2 not calculating VO2 Max since v2.59

Since updating to system version 2.59 my Venu Sq 2 is no longer computing VO2 max scores when I do a running activity. VO2 max was updated for every running activity for six months before this update. I have done a factory reset and used a heart rate strap to try to get a VO2 max score to no avail. Is this a bug or is there something else I can try?

• Thank you all for posting in this thread. We'd like to grab additional information to narrow this down to the root cause. For this we would like to email you. Please answer the following:

• Do we have permission to email you?
    • Do we have permission to access your account?
    • What country are you based in?
  • I already sent all the information including device SN, and the Garmin folder to the support upon request. I don't think there is much more I can do here. Feel free to check my account and verify the data from the correspondence.

• Yes permission to email and access my account. I'm based in the UK.

I chatted with a support agent but they didn't want to admit it was a software issue. They gave me 3 different reasons that none of my run data was valid for VO2max results.

First they said it had to be a 10min activity, when actually the Venu sq 2 requires a 15min activity. I explained that when I go to the VO2max setting it says it needs 15mins of run or walk data and asks which I want to start. I started run and ran for 18mins but after 10mins the activity automatically stopped and no result was generated. The agent wouldn't acknowledge this as an issue.

They said I needed 10mins of run activity where my heart rate was over 70% of my max heart rate. We went through each of my 20-30min runs and they said none qualified. I walked them through the calculation, if my max heart rate is 188 then 70% is anything over 131bpm. My runs lasted 20mins well over 131bpm.

They then changed their mind and said it has to be 10mins of data over the dotted line on the heart rate graph. I explained the dotted line is the average heart rate during the run, not a fixed heart rate. So to get a solid 10mins of heart data, above the average for the activity with no drops... I'd need to run really slow for 10mins, then fast for another 10-15mins to ensure the average heart rate was below my peak activity.

They said that's how it works and this is by design and not something they can raise with the development team. Despite me showing them this thread and explaining multiple users have lost the ability to record vo2max since the 2.59 update on 30th Nov.

Note : I had the Forerunner 45 previously which successfully recorded vo2max results. The last result I got on the forerunner was 9th Dec. I switched to my new Venu sq 2 on 11th Dec and haven't managed to generate a vo2max result, despite multiple run activities 20-30mins with GPS data working.

• I just recorded a run to meet the requirements described by Garmin support. Fast walk for 10mins to establish an average heart rate line lower than my high running heart rate and then ensure there was 10mins of activity where the heart rate is above the average heart rate line, I recorded 20mins of high heart rate data with no drop outs.

Even meeting those requirements the watch still didn't calculate a VO2max result.

• I tested the function to generate a new VO2 Max reading from the VO2 Max screen on the watch today. It told me to choose an outdoor activity, I chose walk and started the activity. It proceeded normally for 11 minutes 30 seconds, then displayed the message, "Task Completed." I viewed the summary data from the activity and no VO2 Max was calculated. After syncing to Garmin Connect, no new VO2 Max was displayed. 

• Also tried the same method, and with the same result.

• It looks like our team has already reached out to you regarding this. Please reply to the last email from our team.

• Hi, I responded yet again to the email, and the response they gave did not address my questions, nor provides any new information. In fact they do address any of the what I responded to them with at all.

I'm really not sure how helpful responding by email will be.

Below is the exchange verbatim:

Hi,

I have reviewed the articles and they don't help. The thread https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/healthandwellness/f/venu-sq-2/353957/venu-sq-2-not-calculating-vo2-max-since-v2-59/1716571#1716571 has a lot of people who are reporting the same issue.

Has anyone taken a look to fix this from the software side? It definitely looks like a bug introduced in v2.59

Hello Samuel,

The type of activity you complete can determine if you will receive an updated VO2 max estimate. Your overall VO2 max estimate is taken based on the following four activity types, listed in order of preference based on their accuracy. The most accurate VO2 max estimate will display in Garmin Connect and will overwrite less accurate methods for 30 days. Not all Garmin products support all methods of VO2 max estimation.

NOTE: If you complete a qualifying cycling activity with a power meter, a separate Cycling VO2 max will populate. The Cycling VO2 max will update each time you meet the Cycling VO2 max estimate criteria.

Running Activity With GPS

This activity type yields the most accurate overall VO2 max estimate and will be given priority over all other activity types.

• Example: You record a Run activity with GPS, which generates a VO2 max estimate. This VO2 max estimate will display in Garmin ConnectTm account and will only update over the next 30 days if you record additional Run activities with GPS. Other activity types below in this list will only update the overall VO2 max estimate when the most recent Run activity with GPS is older than 30 days.

Walking Activity With GPS

• Example: You record a Walk activity with GPS, which generates a VO2 max estimate. The next day, you record a Run activity with GPS, which generates a VO2 max estimate. The overall VO2 max estimate in Garmin Connect will be updated regardless of the age of the Walk activity because Running activity with GPS is #1 in this list.

Walking Activity Without GPS

This applies to walking done during daily routine without recording an activity.

Running Activity Without GPS

Using Foot Cadence as a Speed Estimate.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,
  • So after a month of no VO2max calculations, even though I'm running 2 or 3 times a week. I've started randomly getting VO2 results, but not as you'd expect.

I get VO2max values appear on random days. Not following an activity, even when I haven't done an activity that day or in the last few days.. it might be triggered because I started recording my weight. Try entering a weight value and see if you start getting VO2 results logging. I stopped updating my weight and the VO2 results stopped for a week, I recorded a new weight and yep, got a vo2 reading the same day. I'm weighing myself using standard scales and entering the weight manually via the Garmin app.

This really isn't how VO2max is supposed to report though right? On my old Garmin watch it used to show your vo2 when you ended the run...

Also when i trigger a run activity from the vo2 menu still says it'll need 15mins of activity, then automatically stops after 10mins and doesn't calculate a result. So it's still clearly not working.