This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why was Venu SQ2 heart rate highly inaccurate during medical indoor cycling test?

I just did a medical indoor cycling performance test wearing a Polar H10 chest band connected to my physician's medical equipment. I also tracked the session as a cardio workout with my Venu SQ2 which I bought 3 weeks ago. I wear my Garmin 24/7 and wore my Garmin as I always do during workouts, fairly tight around the wrist and well below the wrist bone, as suggested by Garmin. I made sure the hear rate sensor was clean and as it was a light test I did not sweat.

My actual heart rate curve according to the medical equipment was flat during the entire 10 minute test at around 78-80. However my Garmin was all over the place measuring peaks varying between 116-168, more than double my actual heart rate. It never got below 116, so at best around 35 bpm too high.

I was expecting a slight deviation, but not this much.

Is this normal behavior, because that makes the watch pretty useless for this type of use case? Or is it a faulty hardware issue?

Any help/suggestions is highly appreciated.

• The Venu 2 is not a medical device.

There are actually two mode the OHR runs in - 24x7 and activity mode (you are recording an activity).  You can tell if you peek under the back and if the leds are flashing, it's 24x7 mode.  That's less accurate than activity mode, but neither are "medical grade"

• I was recording an activity and I was not expecting it to be  medical grade, but is it normal that it is so much off? 

• According to my experience with Vivosmart 4 and Venu SQ, these two have the same heart rate sensor, when you start a cardiovascular exercise session, for some reason the algorithm that manages the rhythm goes crazy, the same thing happens to me as to you With the two devices, reading you I think then that it is not a problem with the sensor but with the algorithm developed for this sport, it is one of many from this manufacturer