This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Gear to track indoor training

As a new Venu 2 user, I look for additional gear to track indoor activities. I do most of my exercises indoors using an exercise bike and a walking treadmill (walking pad), none of which can integrate with Garmin (or anything else).

The Garmin foot pod seems to have been replaced by the running dynamics pod, but can that be used to track steps and distance when walking on a treadmill? If not - is there something else that can do that?

I assume that neither the foot pod nor the running dynamics pod can be used to track distance while sitting on an exercise bike. Is there anything else (apart from buying a new bike) that can be used to track distance?

• The Garmin foot pod seems to have been replaced by the running dynamics pod,

No, the running dynamics pod servers a totally different purpose and is not a replacement for a footpod.

but can that be used to track steps and distance when walking on a treadmill?

It will provide cadence (but not steps per se) but no distance.

I assume that neither the foot pod nor the running dynamics pod can be used to track distance while sitting on an exercise bike.

Correct.

Is there anything else (apart from buying a new bike) that can be used to track distance?

You could try experimenting with an external bike speed sensor, but in most cases the results will be limited at best.

• No, the running dynamics pod servers a totally different purpose and is not a replacement for a footpod.

So Garmin has replaced one product with another product that isn't a replacement. Nice :-/   Is there anything else that can be used as a replacement for the Garmin foot pod?

• So Garmin has replaced one product with another product that isn't a replacement.

Not quite. The Garmin foot pod has been discontinued years before the rd pod. I can only speculate, but it looks like garmin thought that a footpod is not necessary any more. The rd pod is a totally different product developed for a totally different reason, and the only thing in common with the old footpod is part of its name. So actually garmin never replaced the footpod with anything else.

Is there anything else that can be used as a replacement for the Garmin foot pod?

A footpod of another brand.

• A footpod of another brand.

Can I assume that just about anything will work with my watch, or what should I look for?

• Antyhing that follows the ANT+ and/or BLE footpod profile. I am sure that there are footpods out there, that do not follow those profiles. Personally I use the adidas micoach speed cell (ANT+ variant).