This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Battery Drain on Venu 2 - Broadcast HR in activity

Hi All, I've observed the following behavior on my Venu 2 with the latest software.

1. Enable "Broadcast In Activity" in the menu
2. Exercise with the setting on
(Observe increased battery usage -> which is of course absolutely OK and for sure acceptable considering the function is turned on.)
3. Disable "Broadcast In Activity" in the menu
4. Observe an increased battery usage (especially overnight) compared to other days when I'm either not exercising or exercising with the "Broadcast In Activity" being disabled

The drain can be solved with turning the watch off and on, but this is the only way to really kick the watch out of this drain cycle.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I can confirm that after:

1. enabling broadcast in activity
    2. starting an activity
    3. disabling broadcast on activity

The watch continues broadcasting HR on the watch face screen too. 

The watch needs to be force restart to stop this. 

• Hello .  I was unable to reproduce this on my end.  Please follow steps below:

1. Sync your watch with Garmin Express
    2. Restore your watch to its Factory Default Settings (choose the "Delete Data and Reset Settings" option)
    3. Re-test the Broadcast HR feature

If your issue persists, I encourage you to reach out to your local Garmin Product Support Team.

•  my engineering team is asking for some additional information.  Could you please elaborate on what you mean by:

Also, so that I may assist you further, please reply to the questions below:

1. May we, if necessary, have permission to email you?
    2. May we, if necessary, have permission to view/access your Garmin Connect account?
    3. In what country do you live?
  • Hi Kevin, Thanks for the follow-up.

I mean that I can see the live HR (even after the activity was stopped and the broadcast in activity was disabled) on the 3rd party device until I force shut down my watch.

To be more precise, in order to start the broadcasting (after the option was enabled of course) I short press the top button, select an activity like walk indoors and broadcasting starts on the activity initialization screen. In case I navigate back broadcasting to the 3rd party devices remain active and I can see that live HR also in case I switch "broadcast in activity" off in the "wrist heart rate" menu. But my expectation that it already should stop when I navigate back from the exercise screen.

Please let me know if you need more clarification, I'm happy to record a video and send it to you.

• Each update should turn off and on the watch automatically. I know with GPS wrist devices it saves battery to turn off GPS when not using it. Broadcast uses GPS continuously pinging for satellites.

• Sorry, but I don't understand you comment. How this is related to a HR broadcasting function, that does not stop broadcasting, when it should have?