This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Venu 2 Burn-in

I have only found a few developers that have created full faces for low power with AOD but it looks like Garmin will be making this easier for them per this article from DC Rainmaker. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/10/garmins-connect-iq-system-5-platform-updates-a-round-up.html Apparently the hardware on the Venu 2 is better at preventing burn-in than the original Venu. It also looks like additional data, like Body Battery, will be available for them to add to their faces.

• The max of 10% pixels on at one time is still there.  The max of a single pixel being on for more than 3 minutes is what changed.  But there is really no reason to change a line of code in any of mine that support AOD on the venu 2.  

• I'd love to see some better AODs. Many developers make beautiful watch faces and provide a small floating time on the AOD, like an afterthought.

Seems as if the three minute limit is for burn-in prevention and the 10% is to limit power consumption. Some devs leave all options open and let us choose what to show on the AOD. Once we hit the limit, the screen goes black and we know we have to turn something off. I prefer this over severely limiting what's on the AOD. I don't think I've ever had a device with an OLED screen show evidence of burn-in. 

• Hey Scott I have 13 different faces from 5 different developers that are full or almost full face on AOD. Yes, that reduces battery life but I can fully charge every day in the time it takes to shower. 

• Thumbsup That's good to hear. I know the AOD is fairly new to Garmin devices, and they've improved in a short time. I look forward to them getting even better. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago in reply to Scott

Do you know when the new CIQ system 5 will be available in watchfaces?

• I think it'll be available to developers in 1Q 2022. I read that as March. Shortly after that you should see watch faces using it.

• I don't think it will actually change much.  the max of 10% of the pixels will still be there, and from what I understand, the max of 3 minutes will be handled by the firmware instead of each watch face.  There is an SDK and test devices for use in the sim today - it was announced on Oct 13th at the GDVC.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago in reply to jim_m_58

Thank you for the quick response! Mainly waiting for ciq faces which are able to show stress and body battery 

with respect to aod I am currently using the new ones introduced in latest firmware. Do you think ciq faces will have adequate performance?

• I've been developing CIQ apps for 7 years, including watch faces and that's all I run.  CIQ WFs are not all are the same.