This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Venu 2 from Fenix 5x, frustrating loss of features

My Fenix 5 has been worn everyday for the past 4 years and never missed a beat. I thought it was time to upgrade to the new Venu 2 which is much lighter and a better contrast screen for my aging eyes as well as excellent sleep analyses. The screen is lovely but I'm  finding I've lost many features I'd relied on. The recovery time is the biggest as well as training effect. I use these 2 all the time to plan activities and guage effective training. The absence of voice prompt on lap completion  just had me scratching my head, it was a garmin connect function and not watch based so why disable it. I'm stuck with a pile of stats that stopped when I changed watch. The question is, are there plans to incorporate any of these features in the Venu 2? I had to slap myself for considering going out and buying a cheaper forerunner to get them back or using my old Fenix for activities. 

• You can´t compare a Fenix with the Venue (Vivoactive)-Series.

It´s like selling your S-Class and driving a Golf instead. The Golf is great and fits for most people, but you don´t have all those extras.

Garmin has a comparison tool on their website, which would have helped you with the descision.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago

He is absolutely right, the recovery time and the training effect are also very important on a dedicated fitness watch!

It's not just racing in life!

• Those features will never come to the Venu.It is marketed as a sporty lifestyle watch. The forerunner and Fenix lines are the training watches. I would advise to do a little more research before buying something at this price point.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago in reply to 8199744

I know the Garmin range perfectly well.
    However, I don't see how adding (for example) the cumulative graph of time spent in heart rate zones on Garmin connect would change things commercially! (this is just a calculation ...)
    After the ripple effect must (maybe) require hardware features that the Venu range is not equipped with (but I doubt it must be mainly algorithms ...)

• I think some are missing the point, oh, and in Australia currently the heavily discounted Fenix 6 sapphire is neck and neck with the new Venu 2 so it wasn't a price point thing. I was looking for a lighter garmin with the latest sensor and good screen. Not sure why that requirement suddenly makes me want a "lifestyle" watch. Some Fenix features have now appeared on the far cheaper Forerunners with software updates. I'm just hoping the same with the Venu 2.

• Hoping recovery time and training effect will come to the venu2 with software updates. Would be nice.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago in reply to Nascom

I'm 100% agree with that !

• I run and lift weights.  I have a Tactix Delta and Venu 2.  The gps on the Venu 2 is fantastic (much better than the Tactix Delta) and the strength training app on the Venu 2 is the best implementation of strength training that I have seen on a Garmin watch.  HOWEVER, when I use the Venu 2 for my runs and strength training, those activities are not added to my overall training load or exercise load.  I understand Garmin's desire to gimp certain features for marketing purposes - but omitting workouts from my overall training load makes the Venu 2 essentially worthless to me - even though I prefer the gps and strength training experience using the Venu 2.  Also, as far as I can tell, the "Physio Trueup" function on the Venu 2 does not mean that your workouts on the Venu 2 will be incorporated into your overall training load or exercise load.  While I understand omitting some of the more sophisticated metrics from the more expensive models, I don't understand this basic omission - even from a "lifestyle" watch.  Even the Polar Ignite, a similar "lifestyle" watch at a substantially lower price, will track workout loads and their effect on your overall training load.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago in reply to gjmachete

Yes and Polar ignore is 200€ less than venu 2....