This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Disappointed with sleep tracking (in comparison to Fenix 6)

Hi, 

I have the Venu 2s now for one day, so of course I will compare it more with the days, but in comparison to my Fenix 6 and 6s, I owned months before, sleep tracking seems more inaccurate. 

I had to sleep in a hotel today because of work and  I mostly sleep average in hotels, like I did today. Bed too hard. I had a not so deep sleep but feel ok. With nights like this fenix always gave me more time awake and less sleep score, f.e. 60-70. Today I had 14min awake and 88 sleep score. And Body battery went to 100 during sleep. This never happend with my Fenix. Never. Quite inaccurate and I am disappointed. I feel good but not perfect, and sleep wasn’t perfect at all. 

DCR said in his review that sleep was improved and more in line with body battery and it is harder to get to 100% BB. Sorry, but it never has been easier than today. 

could it be that there are sensors missing on Venu2 from the fenix line which would have an impact on recognition of movement? Or that Venu2s sits way tighter because it is way smaller and lighter? but whatever the reason, to me Fenix 6 sleep data MONTHS AGO was or seemed way more accurate.

EDIT: UPDATE AFTER A FEW WEEKS 

So after over 3 weeks now I find it much more realistic. It seems not only body battery but also sleep needs to learn the user's habit. I think Garmin should communicate that much more. That many data like BB, sleep etc. needs time to learn the user and adapt. 

I get way more awake times, unfortunately but real and true. Sleep score isn't perfect, most of the time between 75-85. Body Battery also isn't 100 anymore. Highest was 85 or so. So it really seems the whole watch adapts over time to the user. It is way better after a few weeks.

So, yes I can confirm it gets way more accurate after some weeks. It was worth the wait. Wanted to return it but now keeping it. Sleep way way more accurate now, and no comparison to old Garmin sleep tracking, like on my VA4s. And other stuff like HR and GPS also way, way better. Only PulseOX still a disappointment, far from accurate, even though much better than old PulseOX sensor which was a joke. 

To me it is worth every upgrade from every Garmin watch imo. 

• Sleep between the 2 has been exactly the same for me. I will say that Garmin recommends a week of using the device before sleep is calibrated. I haven't needed this week, but perhaps you do.

Or you got a lot better sleep. Maybe noise/temp is an issue at home.

• No, I don't think I slept so good yesterday, when coming home I needed an afternoon nap as I was so tired, which is only when I don't sleep good. 

And maybe it needs some time, I have 30 days to return it but it should become better. Otherwise I will return it, better sleep was the main reason to exchange it for my VA 4S besides new sensor and health check app. Because on VA4s sleep data is a total mess. And with Venu 2s of course it is better, I have higher awake times. But the score and BB is ridiculous. 

Today I slept good at home but woke up yawning which means sleep wasn't perfect at all. I know myself and my body. But score says 99. 99!!!! Which means perfect. I never had 99 in several months with a Fenix 6/6s. Never. And body battery of course was 100. I bought the watch to get real data, I know it is not perfect and not a medical device. But this never happened with the Fenix 6 and DCR stated Garmin made it harder to get to 100% Body Battery and sleep is more realistic. To me at least the score isn't. I can't say anything about the times itself, as I had no real awake times. I will see what data it gives me when I lay awake at night for 30-60mins. Fenix 6 was quite accurate with this. I am really disappointed as my Fenix 6 back then worked good from day 1, no need to adjust. This is why I think it will stay like this. The algorithm is worth than on the Fenix 6 some months ago. 

Which sensors does the Fenix line have that the V2 doesn't? Maybe this is a reason for the difference?

• Don't look forward to getting adequate sleep tracking at all from Venu 2. 

I own Venu for more than a year, have been raising concern on the sleep tracking to Garmin.

No update so far on any kind of improvement. 

Yesterday, I was up till 12 AM and Venu till shows i was a sleep at 10:22 :D.

• Well the Venu, as my Vivoactive 4S, has really bad tracking, that is indeed true. 

The new Venu 2 is much better but still way worth than the Fenix 6 line, at least with SW some months ago. 

• So after over a week I am really disappointed. Of course it is way better than the normal Garmin sleep tracking server side on most old watches. It is way better than the VA4, Venu 1 etc. But that is no big deal as these are really the worst sleep tracking in major fitness watches. 

The Venu 2 has some things way better than the VA4/Venu1. F.e. system layout, new HR sensor, PulseOx is also a little better but still useless during sleep as it is too low there even own the new watch with better sensor. You really need to hold still for it to work ok. GPS fix  is way faster than on my VA4. But besides Health stats app and newer HR sensor, the sleep was THE main reason to upgrade. I was really happy with Firstbeat sleep tracking on my Fenix 6, I owned till a few months ago. But it is way worth on the Venu 2. I never had 30min+ awake on my V2 while sometimes it was even more than that. Fenix 6 always showed it quite correctly, sometimes with 45-60min awake. Of course only referring to bad sleep days which are not that common.I feel like they did some tweaking Sind the F6 SW a few months ago which only made it worth. Story of Garmin's life. Try to make it better and making it worth. I have no idea how DCR and other reviewers find it as good as the former F6 SW  tracking from Firstbeat in the beginning. Maybe they didn't really compare. 

I think I will return it, keep my VA4s and maybe wait a little more for a Fenix 7 or new FR, hoping for a little tweak here and there to show awake in bed much better. This is my main complaint here. Awake times in bed not shown as high as it is at all. 

• I really wish Garmin support would show up here like they do in their other watch forums , seems the Fenix 6

forum gets all the attention .

I know it's a new model but at least acknowledge things are being tweaked and updates are coming.

A little reassurance goes a long way.

• UPDATE

So after over 3 weeks now I find it much more realistic. It seems not only body battery but also sleep needs to learn the user's habit. 

I get way more awake times, unfortunately but real and true. Sleep score isn't perfect, most of the time between 75-85. Body Battery also isn't 100 anymore. Highest was 85 or so. So it really seems the whole watch adapts over time to the user. It is way better after a few weeks.

So, yes I can confirm it gets way more accurate after some weeks. It was worth the wait. Wanted to return it but now keeping it. Sleep way way more accurate now, and no comparison to old Garmin sleep tracking, like on my VA4s. And other stuff like HR and GPS also way, way better. Only PulseOX still a disappointment, far from accurate, even though much better than old PulseOX sensor which was a joke. 

To me it is worth every upgrade from every Garmin watch imo. 

• So after over 3 weeks now I find it much more realistic

I have had the same experience. It seems quite accurate, definitely better than my Vivo 4.

• This is also what it says in the operating instructions! Just read through it.

• Where exactly, can't find anything about adaption regarding sleep, even DCR couldn't tell me if it needs time. 

Which page in the manual?