This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HR and VO2 Max Accuracy with Venu 2 Plus and HRM Pro+

Hello group. 

Am 49 and have been running casually for just over a year now and recently switched from using Fitbit Charge 4 to the Venu 2 Plus and HRM Pro+ chest strap.  For my age, max HR "should" be 171 (I know this is just the average, not for everyone) and when using the Fitbit I saw it could spike into the mid 180s or low 190s on rare occasions, so gathered they were glitches and based my training zones off the 171.   My "fitness score", which is supposed to be Fitbits equivalent to VO2 max ranged from 48 - 53, depending on the runs for the week and Fitbit considered this to be very good to excellent for men my age.  

After switching the the Garmin products and after a 6 week running break (holidays) I did a short 4K threshold run with all out effort for the last 60 seconds and for the last 2K my HR hovered in the low to mid 190s with max HR hitting 199 at the end.  I also just ran my first half marathon using the 199 to set my threshold pace (actually ran a little faster than maybe I should have) and had an average HR of 176.  Can I trust these numbers as accurate and can I safely base my training zones off this?

To confuse me further, my fitness score on the Fitbit was the Very Good to Excellent rating, but with Garmin my VO2 max is 37, poor and in the bottom 40% of men my age.  Then I look at my Fitness Age and it tells me I'm 42.  Is it just that I've not had enough time with the Garmin gear to collect sufficient data to make accurate VO2 max prediction?

Appreciate any help/advice with this.

• Problems measuring heart rate on my Venus 2 plus. I noticed that during training on the trainer, the measurement is correct up to 125 pbm, with higher HR values on the watch it drops.

I compared it with the HR belt.
    I carried out various tests with the fastening of the watch strap or the place on the hand. Worried