This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why doesn’t the Venu series support the running dynamics pod?

I’m a bit confused by this. I thought the pod would be a great way to extend the functionality of the watch only to find out t has very limited compatibility. Is there some hardware missing from the Venu watches or is it purely to differentiate the running watches from the more fitness/lifestyle watches?

• Hope it's not the latter. I have a Venu Sq and, on the whole, am very happy with it. I certainly have no desire (or money) to switch to anything like a forerunner for the time being. Maybe in a few years If I am still in to running when the Venu Sq gives up the ghost. I would, however, have happily given Garmin their £60 to hook a dynamics pod up to the Venu Sq as a neat way of expanding it in the meantime. I'll be keeping that money for myself now though.

• Just don't think about that. The Venus are not fitness/sport watches - having activities in these watches is simply misleading, Garmin stripped every meaningful feature for this and even the barebones are created in a way that you cannot really use them.

Garmin does have an excellent job to make its devices completely useless for other reasons / sports than it was designed.

Forerunners are useless for hiking (auto start / stop does not work, distance calculation is completely wrong for walking speed), GPSMAP is useless for cycling (elevation chart does not refresh), Edge computer is useless for hiking, etc. 

Deliberately missing very basic data fields (such as calculating stopped / moving time) everywhere, etc. You even need to buy another sport watch with a MIP screen for any activity you cannot use gesture, because amoleds are basically invisible in activities (these go very dim after a minute during a workout).

Garmin devices are great, you just need to buy another device every... damn... activity... you are committed.