This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart rate accuracy when no activity

I use Venu 2 Plus as a daily watch and use Garmin connect features as Body battery, sleep record, stress and so on. Im also a cyclist and when cycling I use a Garmin 830 to record my activites with a heart rate strap band. I have notice that the heart rate on my Venu is not accurate while cycling and NOT recording on my watch. When im running or do gym i use my Venu and then its pretty accurate. While cycling my pulse for example is 130bpm, on my watch its 80bpm. But if im starting to recording on the watch, the my pulse goes up to 130bpm just as it is on my Garmin 830 with strap band. 

I think the rest pulse mearsurement is accurate, at night or not traning for example. But not while traning and NOT using the Venu. 

WHY cant my garmin watch keep a accurate heart rate while NOT recording??! Anyone more with same problem? 

• WHY cant my garmin watch keep a accurate heart rate while NOT recording??

The technical answer is:

When not recording an activity the LEDs emit less light to conserve power, thus making the optical sensor potentially less accurate in high intensity workouts.

• And this can´t be optional? This affects body battery and stuff like that when the heart rate curve is not correct. Otherwise one can think that if you are doing an activity with an other device the pulse from that activity should merge with the "daily pulse curve". But no, it does not. 

• And this can´t be optional?

Don't ask me.

• I have the same problem:

When doing an exercise my venu 2 plus is showing a far too low heart rate (eg 80) while my strap is giving the right one eg 130).

I first thought the skin contact was wrong..

Surprise, when I started the activity on the watch, the heart rate was correct (only a difference of 1-2).

What is happening?

Is the watch reading the heart rate in a different way during non-activity versus activity?

Or is the heart rate monitor sometimes malfunctioning, and is the start of activity/recording re-starting it or forcing it in another mode????

In would really like to know to which extend I can trust the heart monitor in normal mode or not…

• Thanks. This clarifies and explains a lot.
    I would however like the option of being able to configure / select it myself…

Is it 100% correct/sure that the heart rate is effectively correct with the lower intensity in normal/at rest mode??
    ( did somebody compare it with a strap ? )

• I also find the same thing on the fenix 7, but I think it's a bug as the underestimation occurs sporadically. Sometimes it happens to read 45-50 heartbeats when in reality there are 10-15 more ... then it tends to realign itself after a few minutes, all perhaps while still sitting in the car 

• I used my V2+ the other day to broadcast my HR while cycling, and in that case the HR was accurate. Uses some battery but actually works better for me than straps, which have often been inconsistent for me.

• I have seen that by periodically performing a soft rest, the problem does not occur!! 
     In fact, the same garmin somewhere still advised to do periodic soft resets...