Body Fat percentage accuracy with Garmin S2 smart scales

So I wanted to present an observation about the accuracy of body fat percentage on these scales.

When I first got the S2 it said that my  BF% was 26.2. But hey I am at 18.7 on my old scales  (both sat side by side). So I spent a few hours trying to work out why the difference.

Of course like everything there is an algorithm to calculate BF% based on your age, weight , height and activity level (I believe), which you select at set up. So I set my activity level at 5. But I didn’t look at the help section which suggests what level to set it at, based on activity. But even then what is my actual activity level according to these suggestions. If  I’m disc golfing twice a week for 2 hours each and go for a walk another day for an hour, does that make me an activity level 7?

No I think not. But it certainly brings down my BF% when I weigh. So I sacked the activity level setting and went for the body composition setting instead. I bought a set of callipers and measured my skin folds using the Jackson:Pollock 7 method. After trial & error with this (watching YT vids etc), I measured at 20.42% which I entered into the Garmin settings.

And guess what, the S2 scales are more in line with my old scales. Hope this helps.

• Garmin appears to have programmers doing all medically related calculations.  They're generally a mess.
    I suspect many of these metrics are simply correlations with people our sex, age, and evidently reported activity level.
    It certainly isn't anything the scale is measuring.