This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Index S2 Inaccurate BF, Water, can't manually adjust -- MANUAL INPUT FIXED PROBLEM.

PROBLEM RESOLVED WITH MANUAL INPUT OF BODY FAT ONE TIME

We've used an Aria scale for over a decade.  It was struggling to stay on the network, so yesterday we brought home an Index S2.  My husband is getting readings that seem appropriate.  Mine, on the other hand, are insane.

My weight and BMI are basically identical to the Aria, but that's where it stops.  I have definitely needed to tone up after some health challenges and the holidays, but where the Aria shows me at a 30.2% body fat (5'6" 133 pound 66.5 year old female), the Index S2 shows me at an incredulous 58.9%.  Couple that with a 30% body water percentage, and both numbers would indicate I should barely be able to have the muscle/hydration to pick myself up out of a chair.  It's got my muscle/skeletal at around 30% and my bones at like 2 pounds.

The Index S2 scale updated when first put on the network, so I assume the firmware is up to date.  

I tried to go into the Connect app to manually adjust the body composition, but when I get to user settings, all I have is Gender, Height, Weight, Weight Goal, Birthdate and Activity Class.

This new data has trashed my fitness age, of course (adding 10 years overnight) from 58 to 69 as well.

I have accepted scales of this type are often marginally inaccurate, but this is ridiculous.  

Thanks for any suggestions before I box it back up and take it back to Best Buy.

• Leaving this here for anybody else who may have the same problem/issues.  I ended up deleting my Garmin Connect app on my phone and reinstalling it.  Then "set body composition" was an option.  I arbitrarily set my BF% to 31 and then got on the scale.  It adjusted and shows BF of 30.4%, Water of 50.8% and increased bone mass and skeletal mass.  

• Just out of curiosity, did you weigh bare feet the first time when you got 58.9% BF and such low hydration?

• Yes, I did.  Apparently my husband found a few other instances of it doing the same thing to other people, who used the same solution as I did.  It's working fine now and all the values are as expected.

• I was shocked by my 25% body fat reading since I had done a Bodimax scan at the gym and body fat was just 17%. So I bought some fat callipers on Amazon and did it the old fashioned way. Measuring skin fold fat in 4 areas of my body, as instructed - front of arm, back of arm, belly and underneath scapula on back. Plus a couple of other measurement suggestions the instructions gave. Readings came out as 24.7%, 26.2% and 23.4%. So for my body the Garmin S2 is incredibly accurate!

• I would agree if it had been anything remotely reasonable, but I can safely say I don't and never have had 59% body fat!  It's doing fine now, and the numbers are all very normal/reasonable for me.  Just had to manually input what my Aria scale said to get it out of what appeared to be swapping my water weight and fat data.

• the other thing Garmin told me to do is adjust my activity level. If it you have unrealistically high, the software classes you as an athlete and adjusts all the values. I adjusted my activity level down to 

Garmin Connect App
    1. Open the Garmin Connect app.
    2. Access the menu by selecting More (bottom right).
    3. Settings
    4. User settings
    5. Select Activity class

and changed it to 4 from about 7. Exercise 2 to 3 times a week for 45 mins.

Then deleted my earlier readings made with the S2. Looking better now

• Thanks, but I have all those settings appropriately set.  What I experienced with the body fat being outrageously inaccurate is what others have also experienced.  Again, once I put in what my readings were from the previous scale, it was fine, which was their experience as well.  It's possible somebody else may benefit from what you're noted, though.

• As it seems you've done all the standard troubleshooting and workarounds, I would suggest you contact Garmin Product Support directly. Using the chat or phone call options works best for a more immediate response.

• Thanks, but as I said, I'm happy with the resolution of manually setting it one time and then the scale picked up the accurate numbers.  Not sure if y'all didn't see that answer, but the scale is fine now!

• I'm happy with the resolution of manually setting it one time and then the scale picked up the accurate numbers.

Got it.Thumbsup Then I'll lock this thread and mark your earlier posts as the answers.