Would you buy a Garmin Vector 3 again?? Anyone happy please step forward!

This is a genuine question.

I'm in the market for a pedal power meter solution and i'm invested in the garmin ecosystem. I am happy with the quality of all the items I have from garmin so the Vector 3 should be the obvious choice.

However, the issues highlighted on this board and elsewhere on the internet are worrying me - are the issues as widespread as they seem? I've always taken what I read on support forums with a pinch of salt as they do tend to (by design) highlight the bad.

So this is a chance for people happy with the product to step forward and provide a bit of balance.

I'm currently using a stages crank and to be honest, even though that system is now synonymous with battery-door water ingress issues, I'm happy with its reliability since the doors were upgraded. All the noise on the web would indicate that the issue is actually worse with the Vector 3 than the stages? Is that true?
  • Absolutely rubbish. The worst thing that I have ever bought for a bike. Sensor constantly dropping out. Power readings all over the place. Battery door and boards have been replaced. 

• Well. i havent bough the Vector 3, but my girlfriend did and all i can say is, i´m sooooo happy i didnt spend my money on these things!

Gently said, they are "a source of constant occupation", it feels like every time we are going for a ride, either the batteries are empty or a new update needs to be installed or the pairing has been lost. it is not an "install and forget" thing, these babys keep you busy.

If you put it a bit harsher, and sorry, that is my impression - they are a pure misconception! The continued issues with the battery door are totally unacceptable for a product in this price range. The construction of the battery cover, a pairing of metal thread and too fine plastic thread in a non-exchangable body part is a pure design mistake. The over-fragile seal-rings on the battery door that tear almost inevitable when you tighten the cover is a pure design mistake.

For me, they are not well constructed and not worth the money.

• I totally agree with everything you have said about these pedals. The biggest waste of money that I have ever spent on upgrading my bike.

I have been sent two upgrades for the battery door and it has not made any difference. 

I am dealing with Garmin in Spain so unfortunately, I am writing the pedals off and putting it down as an experience with a Garmin product that I will never again repeat. 

• Had lots of problems, but they are gone after the replacement. Now it works fine, but I think the structure design should be modified to improve the stability ans usability. I won't buy it again, unless Garmin re-design it and improve the product quality control.

• Unfortunately not. If they worked they would be a perfect power meter but I have had too many issues, poor design and/or build quality IMO. Had right sensor missing messages with the most up to date battery doors (at the time) which was annoying but not critical. Then the pedal body sperated form the cartridge - pedals dead. Kudos to Garmin as they replaced with brand new pedals within a week, but given my previous issues I sold them and bought Assioma Duo - so far they have been faultless.

• Unfortunately not. If they worked they would be a perfect power meter but I have had too many issues. Had right sensor missing messages with the most up to date battery doors (at the time) which was annoying but not critical. Then the pedal body sperated form the cartridge - pedals dead. Kudos to Garmin as they replaced with brand new pedals within 10 days, but given my previous issues I sold them and bought Assioma Duo - so far they have been faultless. A shame as I am fully invested in the Garmin world for all my multisport tech and have been for years.

• I am happy with the Vector 3. Would love it if Vector 4 came out with rechargable batteries inside using charging like Zwatt has

• Yes, I would buy them again.   I upgraded from the from Stages single sided system.    I say "upgraded" because my stages meter read 15% lower than my actual power when compared to a couple of indoor trainers.   The Vectors have been inline with the indoor trainers and they have been extremely consistent and reliable since purchased.   I would echo some of the members in saying that the battery life is probably something to keep in mind (I got around 67 hrs with the CR1/3N, which isn't magnificent, but better than the smaller batteries).   I only ride around 5 hrs a week so changing the batteries every 3 months is not that much of a hastle.  Regardless, because of the accuracy and consistency of the power readings I would buy them again.   I also like the clean esthetics of them.  Only other minor issue (not a deal breaker) is that the battery life indicator seems off in that it goes from good to low instantly on my pedals, not much forewarning.   I've been a very satisfied customer though.   

• I like them very much, no problems so far, soI would buy it again.

• Not only will I never buy the vector pedals again. I will never buy another Garmin product for the rest of my life. You have people like chunky wizard who have "never had issues" who are clearly biased. Likely never owned a Garmin product in their life.

I ordered pedals through a local store just over a year ago. Within 30 days i had data dropouts on every single ride. Initially, there support was understanding and moved relatively quickly to replace my pedals. The new pedals worked without complaints until March of this year. Getting manufacturer warranty for them has been an absolute nightmare. First, I had to wait 2 months to get a circuit board upgrade through snail mail. I was supposed to be "understanding" that they had supply chain issues due to COVID. Meanwhile, im paying a coach to send me power based workouts. Next, the circuit board replacement did not work, as expected, and now I have been waiting 2 more months to get to a point where Garmin will send me a box to return the pedals before they send me warranty replacements. What an absolute nightmare the Vector experience has been for me and absolute garbage customer service.

The first time i needed replacements they shipped me pedals without needing a "deposit." This time they told me I either had to give them an interest free loan for who knows how long, or return the pedals and wait for replacements; that is a lose-lose proposition. Garmin's perspective is cleary, "let's make the consumer pay us $600 and wait months while we have supply chain issues before we replace the third iteration of our crappy product, FOR THE SECOND TIME... no matter that money is tight right now for all of our loyal consumers; we are a tone deaf corporation and already got your money from the original purchase, so we don't care." Aside from the extremely poor quality of their product, customer support has not responded to me in over a month to continue the return process. On top of that, Garmin Connect was hacked and basically shut everything down..

This has been an absolutely unacceptable deviation from industry standards, for warranty returns and completely unprofessional. I will NEVER buy another Garmin product. I cannot wait to get my replacement pedals to sell them ASAP.

I have shared my experience with local cycling clubs, local shops and anyone that I can bend the ear of. Garmin has not only lost my future money, but that of a majority of health and fitness enthusiasts in my area. Two shops have also cut ties with Garmin. Yanked the wrong chain this time Garmin, deal with the consequences.