Cr1/3n battery

Former Member
Former Member
It seems that cr1/3n battery is similar to two lr44 battery. In voltage and dimensions. Would using it solve some problems of dropouts due to vibrations??
  • The main issues with that battery are availability and cost effectiveness, compared to LR44 / SR44 types. It is electrically compatible with Vector 3, but the low-battery alert set point has not been characterized for any brands of that battery.
  • I think that it may be worth a try for debugging purposes. The CR1/3N has good pulse capabilities with a low internal resistance. By trying this battery you could see if the issue is with the mechanical contacts or if it is with the LR44 internal resistance under pulse loads. The battery housing looks well designed and I am surprised that it is giving issues. That is why I suggest exploring the battery itself. If the issues disappear with the CR1/3N battery then we are one step closer to solving the dropout issue (larger capacitor inside the unit?).

http://www.simpower.co.nz/images/products/pdf/CR1-3N-BP1.pdf
  • The main issues with that battery are availability and cost effectiveness, compared to LR44 / SR44 types. It is electrically compatible with Vector 3, but the low-battery alert set point has not been characterized for any brands of that battery.

Do you mean using those batteries we will never receive a low battery alert ?

At least if Finland the price and availability for CR1/3N is the same as SR44 so the CR1/3N is a clear winner here. 10 y shelf life so you can stack up with these. I suppose that the low battery setpoint is sofware changeable? Yesterday I replaced the batteries on my vectors with the CR1/3N and the voltage in both was bit more than rated being at 3.2 VDC un-loaded. Old batteries was at 2.7 / 2.8 VDC and no warnings from low battery.
  • Do you mean using those batteries we will never receive a low battery alert ?

See my posts #157 and #158 on this topic here - https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/cycling/vector-3/1303442-v3-drop-outs/page11

• It seems that cr1/3n battery is similar to two lr44 battery. In voltage and dimensions. Would using it solve some problems of dropouts due to vibrations??

i tried this trick last nite while swapping out the batteries and had no drop outs the next day on a 2 hour ride :)

https://youtu.be/jbK1pkCyW_s
  • i tried this trick last nite while swapping out the batteries and had no drop outs the next day on a 2 hour ride :)

https://youtu.be/jbK1pkCyW_s

T-smits response in another thread regarding this (quoted below). ...Use at your own caution?

"With all due respect, this is not a good idea. As RobCuadro notes, the spring contacts are breakable if they are bent too far. Also, it is necessary to allow the batteries to expand as they discharge. Further, overconstraining the battery assembly is likely to cause damage to the battery door threads or the other parts of the battery door mechanism, or you may in fact inhibit contact on the other parts of the battery circuit."
  • I have now ridden six outdoor rides covering roughly 800 km in the mountains with the vectors and CR1/3N batteryes with no issue. Everything seems to work as they should, only once got ridiculous power reading (1.6 kW) but it is not battery fault.
  • T-smits response in another thread regarding this (quoted below). ...Use at your own caution?

"With all due respect, this is not a good idea. As RobCuadro notes, the spring contacts are breakable if they are bent too far. Also, it is necessary to allow the batteries to expand as they discharge. Further, overconstraining the battery assembly is likely to cause damage to the battery door threads or the other parts of the battery door mechanism, or you may in fact inhibit contact on the other parts of the battery circuit."

100% use at own caution, but the question needs to be asked why does this fix the drop out problem?
    of course the battery contact is flimsy and breakable(maybe too flimsy as mine was flat down)and caution is needed. perhaps a coil spring type contact would be better. same with tightening the battery door. you need common sense and a bit of feel. not an allen key with a 2 ft pipe on the end to do it up.
    now waiting for a batch of the CR1/3N batteries to turn up.