This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can the varia be tethered?

As most of us are aware of the garmin tabs debacle, I wonder if the rear varia radar can be tethered, as I would hate for it to fall off never to be found again - does anyone know if it can be tethered? Also, is the firmware upgradeable?

Top Replies

All Replies

• There's no obvious place on the Varia Radar to tether it, but no reason why you couldn't use a self-adhesive tether like you can get for GoPros etc
  • If it falls off, you will know about it pretty fast since the head unit (e.g. Edge 1000) displays a huge warning box RADAR DISCONNECTED. So you won't have far to look. With any luck, it will bounce near the curb and not into traffic!
  • Also, is the firmware upgradeable?

YES, the firmware is upgradable. In fact, firmware 2.20 was just released. Release Notes are:

◦Made improvements to ANT+ connection stability when connecting to Edge 1000.
    ◦Made improvements to reduce the number of false detections.
    ◦Added UI improvement to indicate button press using LEDs.
    ◦Fixed collection of bugs

To upgrade the firmware, plug the Varia into your computer. Start Garmin Express. Add the device to Garmin Express. Perform the upgrade. Unplug the device from your PC. Power-On the device. Now, the lights will turn on from left to right as it loads the new firmware. After that, you are now on the new firmware level. You can plug it back into Garmin Express and hit refresh to ensure that the new firmware was installed.
  • The Varia head unit has a hole for a tether, the tail light unit does not.
  • 7 years later and still no tether for the Varia.... Come on Garmin...

• does anyone know if it can be tethered?

I've seen people use a SLR lens cap tether.

• Yeah, but what if "radar disconnected" is a recurring error that you get often while it is clearly still sitting there looking pretty?  :(