This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia 515 turn off radar with the light on

I would like to use the light only on certain parts of my rides. 

I know how to turn off the light and use radar only, but it is possible to do It with only light option and no radar?

If It is not, what would be the fast option to turn the volumen off on a Garmin 530.

Thanks in advance!

• nope, you cantturn the radar of.
    you can disconnect the rada from your Edge or turn the audio notifications in the radar settings off
    but what is the reason for this?
    you want to save battery or smthng else?

• Because if I'm on a bike lane, off the road, on a side without danger of cars I don't need the radar, but I need the light. If that lane is near a fast road it gets worse, because the light will always be in the brightest mode and the screen with the dots.
    It will detect all passing cars imagine next to a freeway.

Garmin should introduce a mode with light and no radar for those rides where you need to be seen but not see what's behind you. even without cars behind you, on a bike path it's important to have a light to be seen.

The best solution I have found is to disconnect the radar from the garmin edge, this removes the notifications, but the varia will work by itself so it is a waste of battery.

• Agreed, the modes should be: light/radar (default), radar-only, light-only.. each has it's own valid use-case.. the latter being when maximising battery life (essential) is favoured over radar (nice-to-have) functionality.

• I certainly agree. It’s a key piece of functionality, which is missing. I recently toured Vietnam by bicycle. With up to 100 motorcycles surrounding you and continually approaching from behind, radar is pointless and painful—a flashing light is essential. Please Garmin, fix this with a software update. Make the product more user-friendly.

• We need this functionality.  On busy roads I end up tuning out the radar alerts because it’s constant and I end up just tuning out the radar altogether.  From a human factors standpoint, Garmin should make this available.  Also, if it is Garmin trying to protect themselves, well, the dam radar disconnects on its own all the time.  So just have a field and the radar symbol goes red when off.  Just do it.

• I think web need more people if we want this new feature on the varia. It should be:

Light on radar on

Light on radar off

Light off radar on 

• And there should be an option for light switching on only when car is passing us!

• there's an CIQ app, which allows you to program your lights as you could only wish