This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can two different Varia UT800 lights be simultaneously paired to an Edge computer?

As daylight becomes shorter and night mountain biking becomes likely I'm considering adding the Varia UT800.

It's quite helpful to have two lights out on the trail, one on the handlebar and another on my helmet. If I got two of the UT800s would it be possible to pair both to my Edge Computer? (I have the Explorer 2 is that makes any difference.)

If that's not possible I would probably add a different brand, possibly a brighter (and/or cheaper) one. If that would be the case, I'd like to hear the pros and cons of the Garmin being on the handlebar vs. helmet, keeping in mind there will be another light.

Thanks.

• Hi ! Yes you can pair more than one UT800 to an Edge Explore 2. The Edge will create a "light network" and will appear in a list of lights in the sensor menu of the Edge. 

As far as the pros and cons of the handlebar vs the helmet, it mostly comes down to the type of riding you are doing. Most looking for a light to use for road riding choose to mount on the handlebars to keep light locked on the road. If doing off road riding such as mountain biking the helmet is a good option because the bike would be bounded around more and you can more quickly shine light on a turn. I hope this helps! 

• Thanks. So if I had a "light network" set up would I be able to control the relative level of brightness to speed for each light separately. For example I might want a handlebar mounted light to get brighter with speed but a helmet mount to stay constant. Or could I even adjust one to vary from say, 30-100% while the other is from 20-70%?

I'm starting to rethink the value of having two UT800 lights vs a second brand of light that's might be cheaper, brighter and/or longer lasting.

• You can set different lights in the network to have different intensities or flash patterns. But you can't set exact percentages. It's just high, medium, or low. Usually it's best to just leave it on automatic mode.