This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia radar RTL515 - turns off

Hi cyclists, I have a problem with the RTL515, which is automatically turning off  after a while. The Edge 830 starts creating a light network, but after a while the radar turns off, then no network appears on the edge and the radar is disconnected. The last time the radar was working, I programmed the Smart light app, probably badly. I deleted the sensors, added them again, and reset the radar. Dont you have an idea how to fix it? Thanks

• It happened after installing new fw 9.40, is anyone experiencing similar troubles? 

• Mine started doing this a few weeks ago...just out of warranty.

It won't stay connected to either the app on my phone or my Wahoo Element. Prior to this it worked flawlessly.

I updated the FW via Garmin Express and it's now on 3.32.

But still won't hold the connection.

• Exactly the same thing happened to me. I have updated fw edge to 9.40 and radar to 3.32, done resets of both, but nothing helped. Waiting for a response from Garmin and ready to send the radar back. The radar is not working as it is not possible to use it even as an independent light. 

• Here the same, the RTL won't stay on, and disconnects/reconnects with my edge. It looks like the battery of the RTL (half year old) is already dead, it starts blinking purple, followed by blinking yellow?! And then turns off

• Exactly, the same blinking with mine. The battery showed full capacity though. I sent it back under warranty.

• I contacted support as well, and they told me it is broken.

I've exchanged it already for a new one in the shop

• I am riding with a 1030+ and RTL515 and have been dealing with this same issue for some time.  I have tried all the basic ideas that came to mind and a few more: a reordering of turn-ons, software update check, rebooting the entire computer and reconnecting each item, and even had my riding partners turn everything off to see if we had some kind of cross-signal issue.  Nothing worked consistently until I turned off the light network switch and deleted the "light ID" associated with the radar. 

I know this limits the adaptability of the lights (and I use three), but for me the radar is paramount.  Six rides of 50+ miles in the last two weeks, and the radar works every time now.  In this configuration the lights still all operate (including the radar light) they just aren't networked together.  I still get the "radar disconnected" notice, but only a couple of times each ride rather than constantly like before, and the notice does not seem to relate at all to the radar being operational. 

Garmin software is "buggy". This is my workaround.

• Had a similar problem. Just got my RTL515 working again by un-pairing from the Varia app and then going through the pairing process again. Not sure yet if this is a permanent fix.