This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia RTL515 won’t stay on. Was repeatedly disconnecting, now won’t even stay on longer than 4 secs it’s fully charged. I’ve deleted it, reset it x times

RTL515 won’t stay on.

I’ve charged it, can see (briefly via 1030) that it’s fully charged. I’ve deleted it, reset it & recharged it several times, and tried with 2 1030’s and a phone app.
I was able to connect for a minute or so at a time yesterday before it disconnected. Today, after recharging again, The main light switches on, the blue light flickers for about 3 seconds then it all shuts down and won’t even connect.

Is it time to return for a refund? It’s 6 months old - was working fine until last week

• Garmin replaced my RTL510 once I approached them directly, without issue. I cannot speak highly enough of this! However, it's still a bit worrying that this device has failed twice for the same issue. I did ask them about an upgrade and they said they would consider this if the device failed again. Further I'm trying to ascertain what precipitated this issue in the first place. There has been no rain, for six months in the SW of Western Austria.  the devices has never been dropped or abused in any shape or form. I can only think there may be a flaw in the design. I have a fairly stiff bike(TREK MADONE SLR7 eTap) and vibration comes readily through the frame and may be could vibrating the light excessively-i dont know! I can't think of anything else. 

• Garmin refused to replace my RTL 515 that failed after being used 10 times because it was a few months after their worthless 1 year warranty. This product is a hunk of junk.

• Apply for the refund now! My spouse’s unit had the exact same problem, then failed completely after 10 uses and Garmin refused to replace the unit because it was a few months after their worthless 1 year warranty. Ask for a refund, as this product clearly has problems with the build quality. We liked how it worked till it didn’t.

• Sorry to hear you have had so much trouble. Technology can be a bit tricky at times. Nevertheless, the Garmin VARIA is a great bit of kit. I've looked around for alternative suppliers but there isn't any. The peace of mind on the bike with this light is great, so I've my fingers crossed that I dont have your issues 

I also have a Cycliq rear camera, which also can be a tricky as well, but again support team were very helpful, and sent me an email with steps to resolve my issue.

• So frustrating, same issue for the last 6 months. I thought it was me but come to find out it's a flaw. I always charge it so I thought it was the battery. Sometimes it connects sometimes not. Never know when it will work. I keep trying but then eventually give up. I was going to buy a replacement but now that I see it's a flaw time to look at other options.

• I'm having the same problem, previously it worked fine, now it loses network formation for no reason, I have to stop, disconnect the radar, turn on the light with a long press and hope it stays connected for a while longer. how to solve this

• If it keeps happening, as was the case with mine, the functional time gets shorter and shorter. There’s some internal failure - if you still have warranty, send it back. If you really like it, get another - I guess most devices don’t suffer this problem so better luck next time

• Seriously ….I was just about to purchase together with Explore2 + ut800 for fun but everyone & everyone says : bad idea…really - this is not about the money 

• I´m just next one who is facing the same problem. Same problem with two 515 radars. After switching the unit ON, it remains alive just for few seconds. It looks like that there is no working fix for this problem.  Radars are two years old - no discussion about warranty. It looks like I found the solution for my problem. If you are technically skilled and you accept the risk then you can to open the radar, after that just remove the on/off switch together with flex cable. With measuring tip shortly bridge  the pins  2-3 on the cable connector. It will switch the unit ON and it will remain ON. I tried to put the switches back, but then the problem is back again. I didn´t find any available replacement yet. 

• Also having similar problem.  My unit is about 18 months old.  My unit disconnects and reconnects to my wahoo bolt during ride. No rhyme or reason as to periodicity, etc.  I suspect road vibration causes the switch under the on/off button to momentarily activate and eventually turn off the unit and then back on. At least that’s my current thinking.  I want to open mine up too and see what the switch looks like.  How many conductors on switch, etc.  I see one screw under the cover over charging port.  Are there any others?

FYI:  I had a front bicycle headlight that had the switch go bad, and it turned out to be a four-pole micro switch that was used to turn the light on and off and cycle through the various brightness and flashing modes. I ended up sending the unit back and it was replaced.