This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

My UT800 Light wants me dead (mode memory problems w/Fenix series)

FINAL UPDATE (9/10/22):  there was apparently an update that FINALLY led to Fenix + Light starting an activity with my set lighting choice (day flash).  Before now, the headlight would always default back to high-beam mode when starting an activity.  The last week has been error free.  After nearly 3 years of this problem (using a Fenix 5, 5+, 6s), finally progress.  There's still that annoying bug where the light resets if you don't cycle through modes fast enough, but I can live with that.

UPDATE (3/2/22):  I spoke too soon.  On the first test-ride, the light was displaying nearly all of the original issues--just starting with a different light mode.  Detailing in the second reply.  Will do further testing, but at this point I doubt I'll discover a solution that works.

UPDATE (3/1/22):  I may have found a solution that works and have listed it in the second post.  I'm leaving this initial request here unedited, as this MAY still be an issue for others who have not recently updated their units or have added a UT800 to their Fenix without manually setting a light mode

My garmin front light wants me dead.  I can't count the number of times I've had to take my attention away from the road and cycle through the light modes.  Can anyone help me figure out what's going on?  I've spent a good year testing with various equipment and awaiting a Garmin CS response.

Problems:  the light mode resets itself at the 2 minute mark (exactly) of any activity, and while running said activity, it will constantly attempt to reset itself whenever I try to manually cycle through the solid light mode.

Equipment:  UT800 SMART light + Fenix 5x/5+/6s + RTL500/510/515

Settings:  Light, radar, watches, everything updated.  Light sensor mode set to INDIVIDUAL (Auto also not working).  UT800 works the same with all 3 tested Fenix watches and all 3 radar units (Radar light modes work fine!).  Removing/adding light sensor does not help.  Used with preset BIKE activity on all Fenix watches.

Lets say that the light has the following modes:

• Mode0:  Light off
  • Mode1:  Bright Solid (starts here)
  • Mode2:  Medium Solid
  • Mode3:  Low Solid
  • Mode4:  Night Flash/Peloton
  • Mode5:  Day Flash

Power the light on and it starts in mode 1.  I can cycle and set as I please before forming a light network with my watch.  As soon as I select an activity with my Fenix, it connects and the light mode resets to 1.  As soon as the activity starts, it remains however I set it UNTIL IT HITS THE 2:00 MARK AND THEN IT RESETS TO MODE 1 AGAIN!  I'm forced to set the mode mid-ride.  Assuming I remember to check the light 2 minutes into the activity (half the time I forget and my light dies @ full brightness), changing the mode again is a nightmare.  The light wants to stay on mode 1.  Unless I have successfully cycled to mode 4, 5, or 0, it will reset to mode 1 within 1 second of hitting the mode select button.  I have to hit the mode button 3 times in rapid succession, and even then it sometimes still resets to mode 1 before I can reach mode 4/5/0.  I sometimes have to hit the mode select a good dozen+ times before I successfully cycle beyond mode 3.  Once I reach mode 4/5/0, the mode will remain unchanged until a disconnect or activity end.  And the only way to tell the mode is to tilt my head to see the light indicator on the side, as it's near impossible to see a lit light during the day.  I can easily replicate the issue without variation (at least this terrible light is consistent).

I have no Edge unit to test with, nor would I want to use one.  I've barely commented on the Radars (retired the 500 and 510) because they all worked great.  Radar powers on to mode 1, then automatically switches to my preferred Day Flash light mode as soon as the network forms--and can be manually cycled to whatever light mode I wish without fail (exactly how the UT800 should operate?)

TIA

• Someone in my bike group has faced a similar issue and was able to give me some useful help.

I was told to fiddle with the actual headlight sensor profile when connected during an activity (which I've done before--but not since a watch reset last year).  With the lighting mode set to Individual for everything, and the headlight CHANGED from the default, it no longer causes any of the issues mentioned in the "problem" field stated above.  Turning the light on will start it in mode 1 (expected), and once a network forms it will properly set itself to the selected light mode and will not reset itself after 2:00, nor will it force immediate resets when cycling through the light modes during an activity.  I've tested this now with each individual mode selected, and it's working properly (at least for now).

This appears to be a bug that was rectified with an update to the Fenix or light within the last year, as I've manually set the light mode in the past and it would constantly reset as per above.  Selecting a mode with the UT800's physical button was always a slog.  This glitch may still be present after initially adding a new light to your Fenix--if it happens, change the sensor profile light mode from whatever is the default and it SHOULD now be working properly.  

• UPDATE 3/2/22:

I was ecstatic that the light was seemingly working, but testing at home and testing while on a ride are apparently two very different scenarios.

I set the light profile mode on the Fenix to mode 5 (day flash)--formed a network fine, started my ride.  All seemed well.  As the sun set, I cycled through to mode 4 (using button on the UT800).  No problems.  I then set the mode to 1--within a minute, it switched back to the default mode 5.  Tried mode 2, and it switched to mode 5 within 10 seconds.  The same when setting to mode 3.  I then tried to cycle from mode 5 back around to mode 4--it reset while cycling between mode 1-->3 (within 2 seconds) and reverted back to mode 5... and I had to do it all over again.

So the stupid light is doing exactly the same as it was previous, the only difference being that It now starts/defaults to mode 5 instead of mode 1 (which is the default mode when you pair the light initially).

At this point, I think I give up as the combination of Fenix and UT800 appears to be terribly broken, and Garmin CS appears to be unwilling to look into this further (created several tickets for this and was promised that someone would contact me after it had been investigated--nothing after 9 months).

• Final update, in case anyone ever sees this thread.

As of 9/10/22, there was apparently an update that FINALLY led to Fenix + Light starting an activity with my set lighting choice (day flash).  Before now, the headlight would always default back to high-beam mode when starting an activity.  The last week has been error free.  After nearly 3 years of this problem (using a Fenix 5, 5+, 6s), finally progress.  There's still that annoying bug where the light resets if you don't cycle through modes fast enough, but I can live with that.

• I set the light profile mode on the Fenix to mode 5 (day flash)

Hi,

How exactly do you make these light profile settings within the watch? Could you describe them step by step please?

I use fenix 6X with UT800 and RTL515. So far I've used the "Individual" configuration on the watch and I changed the light modes on the front and rear light manually - cycling with the buttons on the units, not via the watch... 

Thanks!