This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia UT800 Stuck in Update Mode with Blue/Green light Flashing

Has anyone found a resolution to the Varia UT800 light stuck in update mode with blue/green light flashing? I see lots of people saying they have had same problem but no one has posted a solution (or found one)?

As the UT800 won’t connect to my Edge 1030 plus I was told by Garmin support to get an ANT+ USB stick and update the UT800 with Garmin Express - so I got an ANT+ USB stick. But that didnt help as while stuck in update mode with the blue/green light flashing my UT800 wont connect to the ANT+ / my computer / Garmin Express / my Edge 1030 Plus / my Fenix or anything else either!

Frankly I thought the support advice to update with ANT+ was incorrect as if it cant connect to anything else with ANT+ why would it connect to an ANT+ USB stick? FYI I tested the ANT+ stick connection with my friends UT800 and it connected to my computer/Garmin express pretty much straight away (in about 10 seconds)…

Similarly, my UT800  cannot be reset (holding PWR for 8 seconds does nothing) and running the battery flat also does nothing as it simply continues flashing blue/green as soon as power is restored.

So there is no hard reset on the UT800 (major oversight Garmin!), it can’t be turned on and can't connect to anything – my Ut800 light is simply stuck permanently in update mode. Did anyone find a solution to this?

• An update for anyone reading this after having suffered the same UT800 software update corruption issue outlined above (stuck in flashing blue/green update mode). Bad news I’m afraid as there is no recovery available once your UT800 software update is corrupted.

I had to send my light to Garmin who were unable to restore the corrupted software/firmware and could only replace my UT800. They did provide me with a new light under warranty which I am of course grateful for but I was without my light for about 6 weeks.

My advice is be very careful using the software update feature through your Edge device as if anything happens during the update and the software is corrupted (as mine did) then it’s all over for that corrupted light - no recovery possible.

Pretty much zero info available on how to rectify a corrupted UT800 software update in the UT800 manual or Garmin help website and I've not seen the above info anywhere else and can only advise from my experience. I suggest updating the UT800 through Garmin Express with an ANT+ and not through an Edge device.