This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RTL515 Battery time

I own Edge 830 and Varia RTL515. In radar description I can find information that battery time is up to 16h in day flash mode (day ride, blinking). But I noticed my radar inform me that I need to charge Varia about every 6 hours. Is it normal? I ride only in daylight, with mode auto what should means blinking mode.

• I've noticed, that in auto mode battery is drained faster.
    I think auto mode consumes a lot more energy, than orher modes, because it's continously monitoring your readings like speed and ambient light.
    So just use day light flashing or other "fixed" mode. I use my 515 with lights off during day light rides

• Thanks for your answer Artem. Will try to set manually light mode to blinking, but I think that Edge is responsible for that settings (monitoring ambient light / speed), and Edge should consume more energy in auto mode than Varia.

• Oh, you might be right here. I didnt think about it:)

Just noticed, that in auto mode battery was drained faster, so I founnd an "explanation"Grin

It also could be, that because of auto, edge often changes the light mode of the varia.

Probably somewhere here on the Garmin forums exists a thread to this topic

• It's possible that "edge often changes the light mode of the varia" and it drains Varia, but it means that Edge is totally wrong, why should do it in clear sky and full of light? :D Will try to find some other topics about it.

• Install and configure yourself the Smart Bike Lights app - apps.garmin.com/.../0d9fd828-c932-4470-9c37-fd2828881888
    You can set yourself a full automation of the type of light, for example, depending on the time of day. Take my setting as a model for modification.
    On page: maca88.github.io/.../
    Enter the setting: 1,1|:1H]0###0,73535488#4,4|BRAKE:1:4:10A[-10|Day:1:7:1Er0,s-600|NIGHT:1:6:1Es600,r0|:1:0:1D=1##5:Varia 515|Off:0|Solid:4|Peloton:5|Day Flash:7|Night Flash:6#B3121##3#0#0

The above settings are:
    From sunrise to 20 minutes before sunset day flash mode.
    From 20 minutes before sunset to sunrise: Night flash mode
    Also - when the speed decreases by 10%, the currently flashing mode changes to solid light for 10 seconds - something like a stop light :)

Description of installation, configuration of this application you have in detail on this page: https://github.com/maca88/SmartBikeLights

• Thanks. 
    If nothing helps I will try it, but I think that if I buy new product with promised 16h running time, I expect something similar, not 6 hours... Just wondering if my Varia battery is not broken. 

• Maybe this 16h garmin achieved in tests without any cars :-D My RTL515 I have to charge on average every 12h or so. 

Your 6h actually looks suspicious. Did you have that from the very beginning after purchase?

• Correct. My second charging, and always after about 6-8 hours. I am very detailed and record all ride times very accurately. 

"without any cars" Smiley

• Do a test and set the "peloton" mode - see how much max time you'll need for the next charge on it.
    And one more thing - Garmin used the phrase "Radar, Light Day Flash Mode" for 16h max.
    To does not mean that it will run you at least 16h in this mode. It means it can run 16h max in this mode. It all depends on the conditions - temperature, amount of car detection, ambient lighting. How many cars pass you on average during those 6 hours? Closer to 100, or closer to 500-1000?

• One charging for 3-4 rides, and when I used MyBikeRadarTraffic, then average was 100 cars per ride.