This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia Radar/Tail light question

Hi
I have a question for owners of any of the RTL5xx (rear light radar). Can I turn on and off the radar and tail light functions separately through the Edge?
Most of the time I ride on bike paths where I don't need the radar function - I'd like to be able to turn it on when I need it while riding on the road. Same with the light - now the days are getting longer and I don't always need the rear light on. I suppose that as far as the light is concerned it is possible (I have it this way in my current Bontrager Flare RT) - but how about the radar function?

• I can turn the light off on my Varia Radar rtl 516 and use only the radar functionality, but I can’t turn off the radar and use only the light. Tried it with my Fenix 6xPS (no edge here). But I don’t know, if it might work with an edge.

• Thanks for the reply. It probably works the same way on Edge. Kind of silly because it feels like the radar will "see" cyclists on the bike path

• It safely detects anything that approaching you from rear and this is exactly what it supposed to do. You just need to be quicker than other cyclists :)

• Actually, the radar will only detect and show on your Edge/Forerunner/Fenix all vehicles incoming to you at a faster speed than yours. It wont display vehicles not moving or not moving towards your direction at a speed that might pose a threat.

If any cyclist, by error or accident, approaches your position from behind (the direction being monitored by the radar) posing a threat (from a speed/direction standpoint), you will receive an alert and will be able to act upon. 

• In most cases the RTL510 won't detect other cyclists even if they're overtaking you. It depends on radar cross section. Sometimes it triggers on e-bikes because they're larger and contain more metal. Or if there are multiple cyclists close together in a peleton.

• Same question…but I see no solution!

there are some app to do that but not my case since I have another light other than the varia

• In meantime it was some development with Varia series. There is a vidget also a datascreen for Connect IQ compatible devices.

https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/f/showcase/248492/smart-bike-lights-data-field-bike-lights-control-widget

I have discovered that thread about in June, and setup my Edge1030, the lights (front and rear) new smart features works awesome.

I have the UT800 and 510 rear radar.

In my setup the rear radar counts the number of vehicles, shows/records those speeds and many other things, but the most important the rear light is off until a new vehicle approaches.

I would recommend to visit that thread.

• Can you link the part where I can set up the counting cars but mostly the light off until it detects a car?

thanks.

I use tha t app smart bike light from a very long time ! Awesome 

• Uhm, that was some time ago, I set it and forget it. For the light-off I asked for the code from the developer in the link above.

I tried also a code but didn't keep it it was conflicting with my other setup... when I brake = change my speed in minus to turn on the breake lights, but didn't worked out well when I stopped aside of a road for a rest, the radar didn't blink to incoming cars, so I removed that one.

The next data field that counts the vehicles is called "My Bike Radar Traffic", it is a smaller datafield with 4 lines I insert it into one of the screens on my Edge 1030. This one shows the number of vehicles and theire speeds also I am exporting from PC Garmin Connect and inserting into online maps called "mybiketraffic.com".

• I created a coding for the bontrager light that changes light when I stop, when I ride normally and when I ride aver a certain speed...I can help you to check your coding