This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Original Varia battery replacement / RTL515 battery life

Hi

I have the original Varia radar unit since it first came out, and the battery is starting to decline where I am only getting 2/3 hours use out of it now.

In the summer I am doing a few long rides (200+ miles) and would really like to have a unit that will be able to last c14 hours.

So.

Has anyone tried to replace the battery of the original radar unit

Or

Is the newer RTL515 battery life really 16 hours in daylight flash mode?

TIA 

Top Replies

All Replies

• I purchased two Garmin Vario RTL 515s from Bike Tires Direct approximately 16 months ago. My spouse's unit will not take a charge after using it a maybe 10 times. I called Garmin and they refused to do anything for me because "the one year warranty has lapsed" other than to let us purchase a "reconditioned" unit for half price with the unit having a 90 day warranty. Now why would I pay ANYTHING to Garmin for a unit with a 90 day warranty, after having a virtually brand new unit go bad after 10 uses? More precisely: Why would I pay Garmin to screw me a second time?

EDIT: Within 10 minutes of posting I got a message from Garmin claiming that my comment was SPAM, and was slated to be removed. Clearly a Garmin employee is tasked to keep complaints off of this site. Bui what else would I expect from this company? 

• You copy and pasted your answer on at least three threads und wonder that it gets flagged as spam?

i can even imagine that the forums software is capable of doing that by itself. 

• i can even imagine that the forums software is capable of doing that by itself. 

Yes 3 identical posts will automatically place it in the moderator's queue for review (as I've mentioned in the other threads). Normally it's a mistake as the poster doesn't realize they've posted multiple times. They are then removed from public view (not deleted), and the poster is given the opportunity to appeal. If the appeal is civil, then the posts will be approved. If they continue in spite of the warnings and become increasingly hostile towards other forum members, volunteer moderators or Garmin employees, then further action is taken up to and including temporary or permanent ban.

• LiION batteries do not like to sit discharged for long period of times, If the device was unused and not completely turned off (i.il in Sleep mode rather then OFF mode) the battery would have drained. That greatly damage the batteries. Same goes for smartphones and the likes. LiION batteries want to be stored fully charged. Also draining below 10% is also not good for the battery. it good practice to recharge regularly even if you don't use the device.