This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia UT 800 do not connect with garmin express by USB port

My Varia UT 800 is not able to connect to garmin express with the usb cable. Anyone have the same problem ? 

The light is bran new. I use Windows 10

• This is expected as he UT800 updates via an ANT USB stick. Not that there have been any updates I think.

• Your statement is not correct.

Update or not the light is not recognized from the garmin express program. I try all my other devices and they work just fine.

I think that is a problem with the light microport

• It is not designed to be recognized by GE unless you have an ANT stick.

support.garmin.com/.../

• Ok today I will try with the Ant+ . This means the Garmin website have wrong instructions how to connect and register the UT 800 light

• There have been few if any update to the UT800 and most users would get those delivered via their Edge unit.

If a software update is available for your VariaTm UT800 Smart Headlight, you will be able to install it one of the following ways:

1. Through a compatible paired device
      • A software update for your light can be installed from a compatible controlling unit such as an Edge cycling computer.  When using Garmin Express to check for the latest software for your device, any available software updates will be provided for a previously paired Varia light.  Once the controlling unit is paired with your headlight, the update will install automatically
    2. Garmin Express
      • To install a software update or to register your Varia UT800, you must have a Garmin USB ANT Stick and MicroUSB Cable. To update your software using Garmin Express:
        1. Download and install Garmin Express (see How Do I Install Garmin Express?)
        2. Connect the USB ANT Stick to a USB port on the computer.
        3. Connect the Varia UT800 to the computer using the USB cable.
        4. Follow the instructions on the screen.
        5. When new software is available, Garmin Express sends it to your device. Do not disconnect the device from the computer during the update process.
  • Aweatherall...I was having the same issue but lucky for me, I did have my Ant USB Stick from an old garmin forerunner 405 in a drawer. 

• Reaally weird - Garmin delivers a device with a set of instructions that clearly does NOT mention a ANT+ stick nor does the box contain such an extra thingy!! For some lucky reason (as someone else in this thread) I kept my ANT stick from the days of forerunner 405!

• Reaally weird - Garmin delivers a device with a set of instructions that clearly does NOT mention a ANT+ stick nor does the box contain such an extra thingy!!
    When checking out the online instructions the same applies - nothing about the ANT stick!
    For some lucky reason (as someone else in this thread) I kept my ANT stick from the days of forerunner 405!
    @Garmin - this is not ok!

• Yeah, received mine today, no mention of the Ant stick. 

• As others have said, you need the ANT+ stick, but my frstration lies in that the RTL515 - a similar generation light from Garmin is recogniseable over Garmin Express and doesnt have this silly limitation.

Maybe Garmin assumes that you only buy one if you have one of thier Edge devices?