This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RTL515 vs RTL510

Hi guys

I am searching the reason to buy the radar, who can tell me if is worth to buy 510 model or the newest model 515, price difference is small ,

I find the value when I ride at the mountains , and more to be aware about the cars , somehow I don't like to have the Garmin beep every second but still I am open to the idea

Thanks

• I recently settled on a discounted 510 and couldn't be happier. I had the 500 and I can tell you both the 510 and the 515 are significantly brighter, but the difference between the 510 and 515 is unnoticeable when it comes to performance. Unless you're trying to pair it with a smartphone (which only the 515 can do with it having BLE support) the battery life and lumens are identical making them basically the same unit. 

• Can you share the link?

Here in local store there is no much difference

• I bought it 3 or 4 months ago online so whatever sale I found is long gone I'm sure. If they're similar in price I'd just get the 515 otherwise just go with whichever is cheapest where you are. 

• Only main difference is the Bluetooth (BLE Connection) which you can connect to your phone and the PELOTON light mode for the RTL515 not a big deal, you cant go wrong with the RTL510 either.

• If the price difference is small, I would go for the 515er.

• The two models you refer to have been around for about nine months. Not exactly new.

• Hello , I have bought model Varia RTL 515 , and I am happy with it , 

Great device, only one major complain , or lets say two 

1.First complain is that at one point , when FW was changed , but not exactly when , and then from time to time I get radar sensor disconnected , still with latest FW (one ride) I did not see this

2.I don't know if Garmin has on the development list to add Varia radar configuration based on the Activity profiles

Meaning that if I am using Road bike profile I prefer to not have radar tones , as this profile I am using for flat and its used when very very busy traffic, every second new car passing me 

but when I will switch to other profile  (for example Mountain Road Bike) to have everything enabled , multiple tones 

• What's the difference between the newer RTL515 and the older RTL510 again, they look identical? While externally identical,

• The major difference is that the 515 adds support for BLE so you can pair it to  a phone and use that to view traffic or to get audio warnings from.