This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia RTL515 speed issues.

I´ve noticed that my Varia consistently registers the same speeds of oncoming cars when the radar is at a stand-still.  Anyone else noticing this? Makes me think that the other readings are off too?

• Where are you seeing the speed indicator?  I can see vehicles as a dot, but not giving any speed.

Have you downloaded something off Garmin as an add-in?

• I see it in Garmin Connect after uploading the finished 'exercise' - not on the device

• So it does appear to be a Connect IQ download thing.....unless you can tell me how you do it...

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/varia-radar-maps-connect-app.html

Like the idea of doing it, so will download and check what happens with my device....see if I have the same issue

• Checked it today after downloading the data field and I get variable speeds.  What speed do you see?

• I only ever see three different speeds regardless of me checking 50-100 cars..  From memory, it shows all cars are driving either 22 km/h, 33 km/h or 54 km/h . Only those three speeds - nothing else

• From what I can work out, the device records two speeds, relative speed to you, and absolute speed.

The 'Relative' value is how much quicker is the vehicle going than you are.  The 'Absolute' value is the actual vehicle speed, regardless of my speed.

What I've found is that the 'Relative' vehicle speed is recorded in blocks (in my case 6kph, then 13kph, 20kph etc.).   Each blocks roughly works out at 6.5kmh, or 4mph.

The 'Absolute' vehicle speed is the more accurate one.   Even if two vehicles have the same Relative speed, the Absolute speed differs.

I'm guessing the Relative value is only used by the device to indicate if the warning should be coloured amber (vehicle approaching)  or red (vehicle approaching very fast) and therefore is calculated as a guide only.