This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia 510 TL: Firmware downgrade to help with radar disconnect?

I recently purchased an edge 530 and a Varia 510 TL. I have updated firmware to the last available firmware through Garmin express:

Edge 530: Firmware 5.50

Varia 510 TL: Firmware 3.70

I am facing huge issue with radar disconnecting/connecting every 30s. It is beeping like ***. My vendor changed my Varia once, but no effect. When using my old edge 520, everything is perfect. All other sensors are working fine with the edge 530 (powermeter, cadence, speed, HRM). I read a lot of thread on forums and this problem seems to appeared during firmware update of one of the two device. Therefore, I would like to try downgrading the firmware of the varia. I was not able to find the procedure for that on the forums. 

So basically 3 questions:

-->If someone has the combo edge 530/varia 510 TL which is working properly: which firmware do you have?

-->What is the procedure to downgrade the firmware?

-->Where can I find the old firmware of Garmin devices? Garmin only gives the possibility to download the very last firmware or the last beta

Thanks a lot, because if I am not able to get reliable connection the piece is useless

• Easy to downgrade a Edge computer but I don't think the 510 firmware can be downgraded. The older firmware versions are available at gawisp.com if you would like to give it a try. However, I don't think downgrading will help your disconnect problem.

• I think the problem is with the edge firmware. The latest 1030 firmware update caused some people’s edge-varia connections to drop as well.

• No issues with my 530 on v5.50 and RTL515 on 3.20

• I am an Edge 530 owner with v5.50 who is indeed experiencing frequent radar sensor dropouts during rides.

In my case it never happened until I upgraded to v5.50.

• Same problem here with edge 820, tried many firmware with edge, but doing the same thing. Garmin is telling me the problem is comming from the varia, i would like to downgrade also. For the price they are selling there units, its a shame. 

• For what it's worth on the subject of firmware and whether or not it's the Varia or the Edge - I was experiencing drops on every ride when paired with my Edge 830, never really changed with any firmware update. About a month ago I picked up a Wahoo Elemnt Roam and have been using it primarily since and it hasn't dropped the Varia radar a single time. That tells me it's either the Edge software OR its something in the Varia software that just doesn't like the Edge. Either way it's sad and frankly embarrassing to Garmin that a competitor's product works better with your radar than your own head unit.