This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Radar on Older Watches (eg: Fenix3/HR + Feature Requests

what's the interest level on getting the Varia Radar supported on older devices?

Based on this link: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/601468#devices even the EDGE 25 supports the RADAR but watches like the Fenix3/Fenix3HR does not support it at all.

I have a Fenix3 and woefully it's not supported. I think quite a lot of people still have the Fenix 3/3HR series and have yet to upgrade to the latest devices.

also - from what I read on the forums, majority of the feedback is

1. cannot hear the audio/feel the vibration
  2. wanting to be able to turn the light on/off or switch modes
  3. want to see the remaining battery
  4. want to have fixed light mode (no flashing even when cars are behind) - for group rides etc
  5. being able to use the RADAR in NON-CYCLING activity (eg: running). [ not exactly sure how that would work but I surmise that some individuals are already using it this way but just choosing to use the BIKING profile/app when running)
  6. https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/varia-series/122933/varia-smart-light-modes

For #1 - not sure if the ability to choose different tones (sounds) would make a difference. I know on my fenix 3, there is this "TONE_CANARY" which is really annoying loud shrill. Perhaps having some user specified tones to choose from would be great? I have my Fenix 3 as my head unit on the bike (out front) hence the tones (like lap tones etc) are quite OK.

For #2/#3 - I know there's widgets / data fields  for the latest watches that is able to do this. 

For #4 - this is actually not even present in latest devices and actually needs a garmin FW update on the RADAR itself. so no dice there.

Finally - anyone has any suggestions as to how to make it either less annoying or make the user more aware of the RADAR w/o it beeping so much? (heavy traffic roads)

• Absolutely no one is using the Radar on older hardware?’

• You only need to look at how Garmin treated people who used the Fenix 3/HR forums to know they just don't care and just want you to buy their new products.

• I didn’t say anything about asking garmin to do it. I am prepared to roll my own (in fact, I’m already in the testing phase on my own Fenix3)

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=7150856#p7150856

• I didn’t say anything about asking garmin to do it. I am prepared to roll my own (in fact, I’m already in the testing phase on my own Fenix3)

This is outstanding!

• Not sure if this video will embed properly. This is on a Edge 820 w/ some nice car icons :-p 

Tone can be pre-selected (unfortunately only for later devices. the Fenix 3/920 does not have this tone selector due to lack of memory. Instead I put in a "alert limiter" to reduce alerts when on busy roads)

• Did you rollout the varia support for the Fenix 3?