This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Anyone still use the Varia Vision?

I have been thinking of picking one up on eBay out of curiosity. All the threads here are over a year old... with most being 2+.

Either the Vision is good enough where people are not having problems with it or it is not being used much anymore.

Is spending $200 or so "worth" it?

• I bought mine last year, and I like it. For me, it's the only way to use the Varia Radar with my Fenix 5 when rollerskiing/rollerblading (mounted on the back of the helmet), since the radar is only supported in cycling activities on the watch. No matter which activity on the watch, the radar is connected directly to the Varia Vision simultaneously as the Fenix 5 is also connected to the Vision.

I also love it for cycling. It's a world of difference having the data in the field of vision all the time compared to looking down on the Edge. I use it on my Oakley Radar Ev and old Oakley Flak Jacket glasses. Can be a bitt of fiddling to mount it right, but once you get it done, it stays in place pretty well. Haven't tried it for vigorous mountain biking, I do mostly road and XC riding.

• i've been using mine for about a year and a half, and I like it. I use it on road & easy gravel, not on the mtb.  Integration with the Varia RTL 510 rear radar is excellent and it's good to not have to look down at your computer to see how many more cars are coming. It's a bit of a toy, but a really nice one that you'll get used to having pretty quick.

There are a couple of glitches - Total Ascent and Total Descent data field values will go to zero mid ride. Did that with both my 520 Plus and now my 1030.  Known bug for years and Garmin has done nothing about it. In fact, there has been no firmware or OS update for the Varia Vision since 2018, so this product line is obviously NOT a priority for Garmin. Also note that if you like to use custom Data Fields from the Connect Store, well, they aren't supported for the Varia Vision. Just the native Garmin fields, which ain't optimal but again, I don't think Garmin really cares...

• Ive had mine for over 3 years.  I love it!  Only thing is the earlier software version would display Temp when paired with 735xt.  Once updated to 3.60 it wont display it anymore.  Thats my only beef.  I have mine paired with my radar as well.  Awesome piece of gear.  I don't mountain bike with it just road bike.

• Yes, very pleased.  I use this on every ride with several bikes.  I called about an issue last month and Garmin exchanged my Varia Vision for free; they had one in stock.