This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What time of the year new Garmin things getting released?

Most likely I will be shopping for a Varia bike radar...unless somebody tell me to wait couple months maybe. I can wait that, the winter just hit us here in Canada and we won't bike outdoors at least to mid of April.

I live in a huge city (Toronto) proximity, lot of new developments-suburbs getting finished every 3-4 years here up North, meaning double the traffic on sideroads as well, these our  Hwy's just cannot handle the constantly increasing number of cars. Getting difficult riding around weekdays after 4 pm, 5.30 don't even think about until maybe 7.30 pm.

Last year I have found couple nice gravel trails but the most longest without any traffic I can collect maybe 50 Km (total there and back). Occasionally 50 Km is OK but for a longer ride I must take the asphalt, and the traffic is terrible, pickup trucks, SUV's big trucks, getting scary lately.

Eyeing that Varia radar, not cheap (about $300 CAD), I would still go for it for my own sake, but maybe a new product would surface soon?

• I’d love to be wrong but I don’t see any reason for Garmin to release a new radar. The current model is less than 2 years old, there isn’t anything fundamentally wrong with it and there isn’t any competition in this space driving an increased pace of development. 

• Garmin doesn't really follow a set schedule like some companies do. Even if Garmin were to release a new radar unit I can't see what they'd change that would make it that much better than the one that is already available. Like with any tech product, if it has the features you want for a price you're willing to pay go for it. A new version isn't going to make it any less useful.

As a point of reference, I have the original Varia radar and am still quite happy with it and have felt no urge to upgrade to the new one, it still does everything I need it to. I would highly recommend getting the radar. For riding on the road it is quite literally a game changer. I do most of my riding on back roads and on a long ride it's easy to zone out a bit, especially when traffic is light. If a car is coming, the beep instantly gets my attention well before I can hear the car and I can be ready to react if needed.

• Like with any tech product, if it has the features you want for a price you're willing to pay go for it. A new version isn't going to make it any less useful.

I agree with that. Sometimes the FOMO is difficult to suppress.

• Love new stuff, and if they brought a new radar out I'd probably buy it, even though there's nothing wrong with my current one. Such a great device, I'd justify it by saving time not swapping it between bikes ;-)

• The radar is really v useful for roads that doesn't have much traffic but from your description, the place you're at, the traffic is v heavy hence it's usefulness would be limited i think. It'll be beeping nearly every seconds.