This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Add an option to turn off flash on the RTL 510

I own the varia for about 2 months now. I love it and I hate it. I really hate the flash when a car is approaching. I've ran into angry car drivers and have been cut off a few times. I would REALLY like to have an option to turn it to solid mode ALWAYS. At the moment I don't feel really safe when using the light. Many people ask for this option as a group ride option. Garmin please add this option and make this light actually usefull!

• The point is to draw attention to you ... flashing lights when cars approach is the desired behavior.

• I'm surprised that you are encountering angry car drivers. Never happened to me. I would estimate the in flashing mode the Varia probably is around 100 lumens or less. There are tail lights on the market that go all the way up to 400 lumens.  The Varia is simply not that bright.

• I suspect the angry drivers have nothing to do with the light.

• Actually it does. When I use the light at daytime I do not encounter problems with other drivers. At this time of the year I travel from and to work when it's dark. I encounter problems with drivers pulling over and telling me the light flashes irritates them almost every day. Therefore it would really help for me if I just can turn the light and the radar on, without the flashing pattern when a car approaches. For this reason I stopped using it for now and I already miss the radar functionally. Therefore I would really like it when Garmin could make the flashing optional.

• Why not leave the radar on and the light off and then use a separate light? There are plenty of non flashing lights available for $20

• Just a couple of thoughts.

Is it possible that the light is angled upwards and pointing a bit too directly towards drivers?
    Or is it possible that you've got your varia set on "day flash" mode, which is a bit brighter?

Or are you riding in a country where flashing rear lights are not allowed? (I think that may be the case in Germany)

If that is the case, I can understand drivers not liking it. Otherwise it's a bit puzzling.

• I find it hard to believe that people in cars claim that they are annoyed by a flashing light that they'll pass in what - 20s? I cannot count the number of times drivers failed / didn't bother to dim their headlights when approaching a lone bicycle (me) head on. Over here (Germany) all school kids use flashing lights on their scooters and everybody is happy with them doing so (and we officially banned blinking bike lights, which is liberally ignored).

• I am surprised drivers pulling over to tell you that your flashing taillight irritates them almost everyday! In all my years of riding my bike, not one driver has stopped to complain about flashing taillight. Extremely bright taillight (flashing or not) is probably an issue in group rides though.

• I would respectfully disagree and have a strong desire to flash with vigor when a car approaches.

• Be careful, you can be arrested for that Joy