This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Detection distance

Is their a way that Garmin can adjust the distance detection of the RTL510/511 via software update? maybe 500 meters would be sufficient. 

• A cyclist doing 25 kmh and a car doing 100 kmh gives a closing speed of 75 kmh, or 20.8 m/s. About 7-8 seconds warning with the stated 150 meter distance. 

500 meters would mean about 25 seconds. On an even moderately busy road this would mean your screen would constantly be filled with warnings, and you would end the ride a nervous wreck just from the anticipation. As a cyclist, the greatest threat to your safety is hitting obstacles, potholes, road debris, other cyclists in a fast-moving bunch etc. and most of the time you should be looking at the road surface, not at your screen.

In my mind, Garmin have got the balance about right between providing sufficient time to take action, and focussing your attention on where it should be at any given moment.

• A three-fold increase in rage would require 9x more power output from the radar transmitter for reliable detection. That would be bad for battery life, to be sure.

• when there are more than 1 car detected, which is more pressing?

1. the car that's closing fast on you (1st car detected) vs
    2. the last car (say the 4th car) 

which's distance / range is more of concern? To me, i don't think I'll be too concern about the distance of the last car, unless of course one is using that distance (last car to rider) to judge if one should cross the road. (I don't know about you, but I think I'll look back for the last car)