This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia Radar and Edge audio alerts - How to improve based on my experience.

Hello everybody.

I always had my Edge 130 mounted in the stem, and I could clearly hear the alerts, even with a lot of traffic. But I recently bought the Varia UT800 and mounted my Edge in the Garmin out-front mount. I didn't know why, but the audio alerts became very, very low. With traffic the alerts can't be heard. Then I decided to mount the Edge 130 again in the stem, and the volume sound increased! What is my conclusion? Is that the edge sound "reflects" in the stem, and "don't go away", but "stay there"! That's why the alert sounds can be heard. Please try with your gear. Hope my (bad) english was good enough to be understood... Thanks.

• My experience also. Alerts could be heard when used with a SRAM out front mount. Switched to Garmin out front mount and could barely hear the alerts. Removed most of the material on the underside of the mount except two mounting bosses and volume returned to normal. Looks like the underside material chokes off the speaker.

• I have an Edge 1000 and I initially thought that it was my hearing but today I realised that I can hear the beeps for navigation etc but not for the varia so I stopped at the side of the road took my helmet off and waited for a car, not a squeak or a beep although the visual side is excellent and performs perfectly but one cannot ride permanently glued to a screen.

Whilst I like the varia and the light I am now thinking that it was not such a good buy and there is definitely some sort of software problem between it and the Edge 1000 and I am not going to buy the 1030 or the additional unit.

• Are you sure the tone is enabled for the Varia? There is a setting for it.

• Tones enabled in sensors / radar / Alert settings / tone enabled. 

I don't think there is anywhere else.

• I have poor hearing and I can't hear the alert tone unless I hold the Garmin up to my ear. The frequency is in the range that my hearing can't handle. Try holding it up close to you and you might find that it is actually working. You can put the Varia in test mode by holding down the button for about ten seconds.

I'm working on a tiny bluetooth transmitter with a microphone that appears to be working fine by sending the tone to a earbud. I just need to figure out how to mount it so it is out of the way.

• No I can hear the tones for navigation etc and when I test the varia at the side of the road there is no tone so unless it is different than the other tones / alarms then it isn't working.

• It is a different tone. There are two tones to choose from. Is yours set for the mult tone or single tone? Have you tried both? I can't think of any other setting that the would prevent the alert tone. I'd call Garmin tech support.

• I see no where in an Edge 1000 menu to select a different tone.

• The option is on the 1030. On the radar alert setting menu, the 1030 has three options. Color overlay, vehicle column and tones with three options on tones. I wonder why Garmin does not offer the tone option on the 1000.

• There seems to be a real problem with the 1000 if you notice it is missing from the list in the forums whilst even its predecessors are there. Perhaps Garmin are trying to get rid of it for some reason.