This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia RTL-511 - controlling tail light

I've been using the RTL-511 with a FR735XT for a couple of days. The radar part works great but I am a little confused about the tail light. Does anyone know if it is possible to control the tail light from the watch? I'd like to have the radar enabled, but the tail light off. The device doesn't seem to pair with the watch as a tail light, however when I turn the RTL on, the watch says "Radar connected", but if I turn it off, the watch says "Light disconnected". Very confusing.

• While I'm not sure if it works the same way on the 735XT as it does on the Edge 520 I imagine it is similar. The RTL actually is both a radar and part of the light network. If you want to turn off the light you'll first need to set the light network to Individual by going into the settings for the light sensors and finding something like "Network Options" and setting the light mode to individual. You should then be able to go to the paired light itself in the sensor settings and find the Light Mode setting there and change the mode.

This is how it works on an Edge device and since I don't have access to a 735XT I can't say for sure this will work but hopefully the RTL is handled in a similar way so you can control it.

• Thank you for your answer.

Alas, there are no options for anything even remotely connected with light networks on the FR735XT. The only thing I can see is pairing a light in the "Sensors" menu, however the RTL-511 does not want to pair as a light, the watch finds it as a radar.

• You could just push the button on the light itself. It will cycle through the light modes until the light goes of but radar is still on. 

• Hey, of course! That's the simplest solution. Somehow it did not occur to me. Granted, I have the German version (RTL-511) which does not allow to change light modes, but on/off still works. Thanks for the tip.

• Finally I got a chance to test it and unfortunately as soon as I turn the light off, the radar disconnects from the head unit. So it turns out it's impossible to have radar on and light off. Perhaps that's one of the limitations of the German RTL-511 version.

• that does not work, when light is off the radar turns off too. If you want to use the radar without the light you have connect the light to ANT+ light network and turn it off from there.

• The thing is I don't see a way to do it on the FR735XT. The RTL-511 won't pair as a light no matter what, and as a consequence I cannot create a light network.