This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cheapest head unit for Varia radar

Recently I managed to obtain a heavily discounted Varia RTL-511. I use it with my FR735XT. It works, but it's not optimal when the FR735XT is worn on wrist, because it's not comfortable to monitor the display. I could use the FR735XT mounted on the handlebar of my bike, but I'd like to avoid that because of the optical HR.

So now I'm considering the cheapest possible solution for a handlebar-mounted head unit that would show me data from the radar. Edge units are rather out of question, because I don't need a separate full-blown bike computer, and they're too expensive (even when bought second-hand) for what I need. Initially I considered the $99 Varia RDU, but where I live it's not available as a separate unit (comes only in bundle), and importing it from abroad would be economically unfeasible.

So another idea was a second-hand Vivoactive HR. I could have a used unit for about $80, or a refurb for $150.

Anybody has any suggestions? Perhaps another solution? Any ideas are welcome.

Btw, I wonder how hard it would be to make an Android app for displaying radar data on an ANT+-enabled smartphone... Maybe I'll do some research in that direction.

• I believe the Edge 130 is the cheapest head unit that’s compatible with the varia, but since you don’t want a separate computer, used vivoactive might be your best bet.  

• I have nothing against separate bike computers per se, only that they are too expensive. And there's actually the Edge 25, which is cheaper than the 130, and still compatible with varia radar, although I wonder if the small screen is big enough to monitor incoming traffic.

Anyway, thank you for your input.

• Didn’t know about the E25.  I have the Varia linked to my 1030 (thanks to those frequent flyer miles!) and I absolutely love the tall/long radar tracking bar, so I understand your concern. Best of luck in your search.