This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RTL510 changing modes silently during a ride

I have RTL510 linked with Edge 1030. I've noticed several times, that the mode I have my RTL510 in at the start of the ride has changed during the ride without any notification. Specifically, I want my light to always be in the flashing mode whether day or night and nothing else so I can get maximum battery life. On several rides I've noticed when taking a break mid-ride that the light was changed to Individual mode and was on solid light. One time I only noticed when I got a low battery for radar notification when I was expecting to have 10 hours or more of life left. Now this could be a 1030 thing or a Varia thing, but I want to know why it's changing modes on me without my knowledge or desire. I do have a field on the 1030 that shows the mode and see that it has changed.
  • You might try setting the mode using the widget.
  • I do use the widget to set the mode. Then it changes in the widget during the ride. I don't use the buttons on the device at all to set any type of mode.
  • if you are using the widget to override the light mode then whenever you turn the garmin off or put it too sleep at say a stop the default mode will be reinstated on power up when the light network is re-formed. You would have to change the mode in the light sensor settings to have your mode as the default
  • if you are using the widget to override the light mode then whenever you turn the garmin off or put it too sleep at say a stop the default mode will be reinstated on power up when the light network is re-formed. You would have to change the mode in the light sensor settings to have your mode as the default

Thanks for the clarification. I think I was aware of this before from posts in this forum, but it is not clearly stated in Garmin documentation.

Here is how I have the widget set

Light Mode "High Visibility" (this is what I want 100% of the time, never to change)
    In the Settings I have "Light Beam Activated" at "Timer Start"

I only have the RTL510 (latest firmware) - no other lights in the light network.

On my 1030, I never put the device to sleep or push the stop button, once I have started a ride, even if the ride is 20 hours long. The devices stays on and going non-stop. I do have "Auto-pause when stopped" turned on. The Light network does not change when I stop and the auto-pause activates at least not every time, so I don't think that setting is happening. But I haven't verified 100% of the time that it does not change when I stop occasionally. I also feel, though haven't been able to exactly observe it, that it might change at times while I am riding.

I have also tried the "Override" and set it to "Flash". I think that one may have changed during a ride too. This one definitely gets overridden when putting 1030 to sleep and waking up again or powering off which is why I don't want to use it because I don't want to have to remember to do this setting every ride.
  • I'm using a Fenix 5+ and am not using the light network settings at all. I have also seen this behavior several times. It will do it whether it goes to sleep or not. I basically power on the radar, turn on the Bike app on my watch, wait for them to connect and then set the flash pattern via the button on the light. When I stop at some random point, I have seen either the light portion off or the light has gone to the solid red pattern on multiple occasions.
  • I use an Edge Explore with my RTL510. I have never noticed the light change modes unexpectedly. So maybe this is a problem on some Edge units and not on others.
  • The only case I can think off is if the light network is automatic then it might change the flash pattern if the light sensor on the Edge detects a transition from day to night or night to day. E.g flash to solid
  • To close off this thread I did find the solution to my specific issue. I have a saddle bag that was close to resting on the top of the light. When I would hit bumps the bag would shift about and push the power button hard enough to change modes. I changed the position of the saddle bag and used different straps to hold it and now I no longer have the problem. Pretty weird. Maybe this will help someone else. Heretofore, other taillights I've had located the button on the bottom, and I can see why that would make more sense.
  • ricomundy Thanks for the closure.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Browner40

hi,

I had same issue on fenix 5X+.

but lately, I'm not able to pinpoint the moment, after some updates (many betas I'm now in 7.52 beta) it is stable. How I set it from the beginning of the ride, remains till the end...rides 10-40km long... aslo started in daylight and finished in the night.

robert