This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia RTL510 doesn't turn on.

I have a varia RTL510 paired with a edge820. both with last update. ( varia. V5.30 , edge V11.00). the problems appears today, when I try to turn on the device ( fully charge, until green led solid), but not respond, few second after, lights turn on and pairing but just for 5 seconds ( meanwhile flashing purple, then flashing green), and turn off.
From that moment the light is turned on only every so often with the same pattern (5 seconds on and then off).
please help.
  • No problem with the same config.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    No problem with same config as well.
    Purple flashing indicates that it is in a pairing mode. Have you tried resetting it, manually turning it on and off?

"Hold the device key for 8 seconds until all the LEDs turn off.
    Resetting deletes the pairing connections from the device."

And then pair:
    "This task is for the Edge 1000, 820, 520, and 130 devices.
    • Bring the Edge device within range (3 m) of the sensor.
      NOTE: Stay 10 m away from other ANT?+[SUP]®
    • [/SUP] sensors while pairing.

• Turn on the Edge device.
    • From the Sensors menu, select > Add Sensor > Search All.
    • While the VariaTm device is turned off, hold the device key for 2 seconds to enter pairing mode.
      The status LED flashes purple, and the taillight turns on. The device is in pairing mode for 5 minutes or until you press the device key.
    • Select your sensor.

When the sensor is paired with your Edge device, the radar and bike light status icons appear solid."

• I have a varia RTL510 paired with a edge820. both with last update. (Varia. V3.50 , Edge V11.00). the problems appears today, when I try to turn on the device ( fully charge, until green led solid), but not respond, few second after, lights turn on and pairing but just for 5 seconds ( meanwhile flashing purple, then flashing green), and turns off.
    From that moment the light is turned on only every so often with the same pattern (5 seconds on and then off).
    please help.

I am having the same issues with my Edge 820. It's fully charged. Doesn't like to turn on, so I have to reset it (hold for 8 secs +). Once that's done, it will briefly turn on (go to purple LED), switch to green for a few secs, and then shut down.
  • hi, anybody fixed this issue? I have the same problem....

• hi, anybody fixed this issue? I have the same problem.

• Similar problem. I have returned the product and is waiting for Garmins response 
  • I have the same problem. Has anyone solved this?

• I am also seeing similar behaviour, but mine started prior to the latest update.  Pressing the power button, I eventually seem to get it back to the flashing blue and mine connects again.  I have tried resetting etc. to see if it fixes it permanently, but the issue returns.

It has been fine for 18 months, so maybe something has broken inside due to road vibrations. Very odd.

BTW, I am using mine with an Edge 1030, so it is not head unit specific.  If it continues, and I can't see any reason why it won't, I will look at returning mine to Garmin because for the price I would expect to get more than 18 months out of it.

• I did end up sending mine back for exchange after troubleshooting with Garmin.

• - Will you keep me updated on what you experience with the replacement?