This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia RTL510 mounted horizontally

I have a trunk bag, and it gets in the way if I mount it on the seatpost.

2 questions.
a. I assume it will need line of sight to work
b. Will it work properly if I mount it horizontally ?

Thanks
  • Mine is not mounted horizontally but 180 degrees (up side down, due to my road bike geometry) and it functions great... I hope this helps.
  • The RTL-510 manual states on page 1 that the device must mounted perpendicular to the road.

If you try it mounted horizontally, let us know how it works.
  • Ok I emailed Garmin support. Not very helpful. Referred me to the manual, and then said if mounted horizontally " it is not ideal".

So I did my a experiment on the road for a few minutes. Frankly I can't see any differences either way.
  • Well, that's interesting. I thought mounting it horizontally would make a difference. I've been careful to mount it as specified.
  • If mounted horizontal, do you have the light on the left or right or does it matter? Mounting horizontal would allow me to use it on my backup bike which has limited space under the saddle.
  • I didn't do a very scientific test. Basically turning the mount on the seat post by 90 degrees. So I do not know know if there are issues caused by it, but it detected all the cars I saw.
    It depends on the radar beam. The specs indicated a 40degree beam width - whatever that means. If it is a conical beam - it shouldn't matter if it is on it side ? Any radar antenna experts here ?

Radar Detection
    • The radar detects approaching vehicles up to 140 m away.
    • The approaching vehicle speed must be from 10 to 160 km/h (from 6 to 99 mph).
      NOTE: The radar does not detect vehicles traveling at the same speed as your bike.
    • The radar beam width is 40 degrees. It provides radar coverage for typical bends in the road.
    • The radar can detect up to eight approaching vehicles.
  • Hi...will it detect a staionary parked vehicle if we are riding towards it at a speed and on a collission course?...there are occassions when the rider looked down for a second too long dreaming....thks

• The Varia RTL510 is intended for rear mounting only. You don't want to put it on the front of a bike. That would cause essentially non-stop false alarms for every solid object inside the radar beam.

• a. It depends on the specific trunk bag and the type of mounting system it uses. Some trunk bags use a rack-mounted system that attaches to the seatpost, while others use a strap-based system that attaches to the handlebars or seatpost. If the bag uses a rack-mounted system, it may require a clear line of sight for the mounting hardware to work properly.

b. It depends on the design of the trunk bag. Some trunk bags are designed to be mounted horizontally, while others are designed to be mounted vertically. If your trunk bag is not designed to be mounted horizontally, it may not work properly or may not be secure. Additionally, if the trunk bitlife bag has a built-in light system, mounting it horizontally might obstruct the lighting. Check the manufacturer's recommendations for proper installation.