This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

The Varia 510 needs a new mode

For my use, the Varia 510 needs a new mode : no-light with no car detected by the radar, and flashing light when a car is detected, in order to get the attention of car driver during day light
  • I'll have to test if when the light is turned off through the computer, the radar still flashes when a car approaches. The radar works fine with the light off but I have never thought to see if it flashes. I'll test it tomorrow.
  • I'm not sure I see the merit in this. The radar range is about 150 meters, but the light is visible from a lot further away than that. I would prefer drivers see me from a long way away, rather than a sudden and unanticipated light. YMMV.

I haven't seen it myself, but am assured by my riding buddies that from its regular flashing pattern that the light "goes crazy" when a car approaches.

With day flash, the battery life is 15 hours, so it's not as though you are saving a whole lot of battery life through having the light off.
  • Think of it as a group ride mode, and then it might make sense. Some people become irate when you use lights in a daylight group ride. Yeah I don't get it either, but I think it would be nice to have it as an option. Perhaps the Varia radar itself has the resolution to detect the following conditions:

1) Car behind - flash on

2) No car behind, no cyclist behind - flash on

3) No car behind, cyclist behind - flash off or low intensity

• It would be a nice group safety feature, at least for those behind you, if it started something like "low flash on radar contact".

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to robsnow31

agree!

• I don't think this is a good idea ta all.

The light should be flashing all the time ... cars can see the light long before the radar picks them up. Plus I want non-cars to see me.

I'm pretty sure the light does change it's blink pattern when a car is detected.

• I second that! Exactly what I had in mind. GARMIN please add that! Thank you!

• I second that! Exactly what I had in mind. GARMIN please add that! Thank you!

• Good idea. Also add an always solid mode (even with car behind). Some groups don't like any flashing of rear lights, especially on night rides. Very distracting.