This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

The Varia RTL 510 needs a "do-not-annoy-followers-light-mode"

Dear Garmin Varia RTL product manager, I love my Varia RTL 510 and do not want to miss it, but it urgently needs a "do-not-annoy-followers-light-mode" with reduced brightness and no-flashing-at-all on approaching cars, thus a light mode that is less annoying to my fellow cyclists in a group ride, and when I am cycling the city and cars have to drive behind me. This "do-not-annoy-followers-light-mode" should be like the only light-mode of the RTL 511 (= the german STVO-compliant variant of the int'l RTL510), the 7lm solid mode (vs. the 511's 20lm "low" mode), no flashing on approaching cars, but still warning me on my Edge head-unit. Because the RTL 510 is currently lacking such a "do-not-annoy-followers-light-mode", I have to use another (non-flashing) rear-light and have to switch the RTL 511 to "off mode" (radar-on/light-off), when riding in the city, or going on a group ride. kind regards, Armin.
  • I just turn off the light and leave the radar on when I'm riding in a group.
  • I just turn off the light and leave the radar on when I'm riding in a group.

Yes, me too. But in a group night ride, I have to use another (non-flashing) rear-light in addition to the Varia RTL.
  • Dear Garmin Varia RTL product manager, I love my Varia RTL 510 and do not want to miss it, but it urgently needs a "do-not-annoy-followers-light-mode" with reduced brightness and no-flashing-at-all on approaching cars, thus a light mode that is less annoying to my fellow cyclists in a group ride, and when I am cycling the city and cars have to drive behind me. This "do-not-annoy-followers-light-mode" should be like the only light-mode of the RTL 511 (= the german STVO-compliant variant of the int'l RTL510), the 7lm solid mode (vs. the 511's 20lm "low" mode), no flashing on approaching cars, but still warning me on my Edge head-unit. Because the RTL 510 is currently lacking such a "do-not-annoy-followers-light-mode", I have to use another (non-flashing) rear-light and have to switch the RTL 511 to "off mode" (radar-on/light-off), when riding in the city, or going on a group ride. kind regards, Armin.

Actually, on a recent group ride on some rural roads, some of the group commented that they knew a car was coming when my light started flashing. Admittedly, this wasn't at night.
  • I think the light is just too bright in general really. A rear light doesnt have to be bright at all to do the job at night.
  • I really need this too, many cars are annoyed by the light and I'm actually trying to get mine refunded

• +1 for this feature request.

• + another for his feature ..

• Yes, please, this function would be very helpful.

For me the intensity of the backlight is not that important, as long as it does not flash anymore when the radar finds a car. Prevents to have 2 tail-devices.

• That's what I want, no light unless radar picks up a car, then flash.  I think that would make everyone in my groups pretty happy.