This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia RTL-510 Radar Poor Battery Life

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Varia radar for my bike and even though it says up to 15 hours of battery life is expected in day flash mode (which is what I use). I am only able to achieve appx. 9.5 hours which is really far off the 15 hours that Garmin states.

All my other Garmin devices meet their specs in terms of battery life so I am wondering what may be wrong, for reference, I am using an Edge 1030 head unit with the radar. I was wondering what everyone's battery life is like as I think there may be something wrong with my unit. Most of my riding has been on the trail with only a couple of those hours in city traffic.

I am pleased with the radar and it's general performance and reliability, however, this is slightly disappointing.

Slightly off tangent, is it possible to disable the radar while only keeping the rear light on? This aspect does not seem possible in my case and it would make sense on trails.

• Really, no one cares if the expensive light meets it's battery targets. I'll just have to contact Garmin and maybe get an exchange.
  • I also only use in day flash mode with a 1030. I have never tested how long the battery charge lasts but I know it must be longer than 9.5. I only charge it after about four rides and it always shows at least half left. Could be that the gauge is off and it drains quickly after the half way point. I'll keep track of how it lasts and respond back. It's a great safety product.
  • I never have used it longer than 7 hours in a row, so for me it is perfect. What you could do is download the iQ app Tail Light and switch off the flash during the day so it will last longer. During the day I don't need the flash as also my wife who most of the times cycles behind me will be blinded by the flash. I belief that companies never tell the drought about battery life. Stefan
  • A IQ app is not needed on the 1030 to control the flash. When the Varia is connected, a widget screen is available with various options and one is no flash.
  • I have a ticket open with Garmin regarding this, I will see how an in house rundown test goes and report back soon. If they state 15 hours, I expect to be able to get close to that even if it requires ideal circumstances rarely encountered on the road, otherwise they are misleading the customer.
  • Starting to get "Low Battery" warnings at the 3.5 hour mark in day flash mode.