This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Audio Alert via Garmin Connect

As the audio bleep on my Edge is not very loud I thought I would explore the audio alert function on the Garmin Connect app. As far as I can tell the audio alert replays lap info and navigation alerts but not radar warnings. Did I miss an option to relay the Varia info? (Head unit is an Explore)
  • The Varia only connects via ANT+, so it can’t communicate with most mobile phones.
  • I believe the audio alerts are played out from the GC App as directed by the Edge. The app does not communicate directly with the sensors.
  • I came here wondering the same thing. I've just recently gotten a pouch big enough for my phone and I decided to turn on the audio alerts. Those work great, but I, too, can't find the option to have the alerts for the RADAR. The wind noise drowns out the RADAR alert from the head unit (520 Plus) so I have to constantly keep looking down. This almost negates the benefit of the RADAR as I can simply look in my mirror to check behind me if I'm constantly looking down.

No option to play the RADAR alerts through the Garmin Connect app?
  • Correct, there is no option to play radar alerts through the app.

Submit a suggestion: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/
  • I’ve asked this question before and have not received a reply from Garmin.

I’m hearing impaired and cannot hear any alerts from any Garmin product. I’ve preciously sent “ideas” to Garmin and have not received a reply.

The VA recently provided me with a new set of hearing devices made by Oticon. These devices pair with a smart phone, iPhone or Android, using Bluetooth LE.

Is there any reason why Garmin is not able to use the paired hearing devices to receive alerts from the head unit or from the smart phone? Or for the greater user base, Bluetooth enabled ear buds.
  • You won't get a response from Garmin, other than maybe an acknowledgment, regarding your suggestion.

As for why ... Garmin's product manager is the only one that can say for sure ... but I would guess that there isn't enough demand for it.

There's no technical reason, I can think of, that would preclude the functionality ... but if it's only benefiting a small subset of their user base, they probably going to focus on bigger issues (new functionality & bug fixes).
  • It's astonishing that we're still waiting for this safety feature to be introduced after years of asking (in my case anyway). My 820 knows that a vehicle is approaching fast from behind but I can't hear the beep because of wind noise. The 820 is already talking to my iPhone which in turn can pass it's navigation prompts to a bluetooth earpiece (and/or as a haptic to my Apple Watch) but inexplicably it can't pass the more critical information about a red radar warning. I'm baffled by this - it could literally save someone's life so why hasn't it been implemented? The beep just isn't loud enough. Come on Garmin!!!
  • Thank you all for the feedback. This is something that we will take into consideration for a future products.
  • Is it possible a Connect IQ app could be programed to pass the Varia alert sound to a smart phone or bluetooth earbud?