This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Radar disconnecting from Garmin 520

Hi,

We ride a tandem, each of us with a Garmin 520. We have a Varia RTL510. We've had it for several weeks.

It had been working fine, with the only repeatable false negative we have found to be when a vehicle shadows us for more than a few seconds, but doesn't pass us, it will drop off the radar although it's still there.

Anyway, this weekend, while on a two-day 187-mile ride, it started disconnecting from both 520s at the same time, and we couldn't re-connect without power cycling everything. It was not out of power; it continued to flash, but just wouldn't connect with the head units.

This is annoying and unacceptable.

Is this a known issue? What can we do about it?

Thanks.

Mark
  • Hi, I am having the same (or similar) problem.

RTL 510 Purchased in June 2018 and paired with my Garmin Edge 520. I’ve taken about 30 rides since then (between 10 and 100 miles). When it works, I feel safer and more aware of the complete environment while I ride.

However, about once a week the interface drops out. The Edge still displays the RTL 510 icon, with no indication of any problem, but does not display any oncoming traffic, as if the road was clear. After getting accustomed to riding with the RTL 510, it is very unsettling to be passed by a car when I didn’t see it coming. I have to power off/on the Edge to restore the interface.

This strikes me as a pretty serious defect and a safety issue. After multiple interactions with Garmin customer support ( <Q#:1002456> << Reference ID: 11941442K1 >>), I was told a month ago that the problem was escalated to Engineering and “it should be resolved fairly soon”. No fix yet, since this defect happened again to me last week. I am very disappointed in Garmin’s follow-up.

I have to assume that Garmin is aware of this problem, but as far as I can tell, it is not fixed yet.

-Tom
  • I recommend that both of you return the product to retailer for a refund or contact Garmin for a warranty replacement.
  • We've had a similar problem with the Varia RTL510 dropping out recently.

We have two bikes with identical configurations (Edge 820, ANT sensors: speed/cadence/hrm-run, LG G6, Fenix 5+, Varia UT800, Varia RTL510). All running latest FW through Garmin Express and confirmed from the Edge 820s.

After adding in the UT800 to the mix, we noticed there being occasional RTL510 drop-outs when the bikes were in close proximity to each other at dusk (possibly when the UT800 was getting more traffic from the head unit changing modes).

Not fun, but went away if we kept separation (we think).
  • Follow up, still have this problem and it's not related to interference between bikes - just had the UT800 on for half of my ride, and had 2-3 drop-outs of the whole ANT+/BT network, then turned off the UT800 - rock solid for the next 8 miles.

There's a problem here for sure.
  • Hi - I have similar problems with my 520 Plus and Varia 510rtl radar. It's intermittent "radar disconnected" messages. My radar is mounted on my seat post with plenty clearance from the tire and both device running the latest firmware. Radar functions fine except the occasion drop off which is what kept me from investing in a UT-800 for myself. Its a shame they haven't figured this thing out.
  • Having the same problem.  I have a EDge 820 linked to a RTL510.  It worked fine for several months but lately the connection keeps breaking.  The 510 is fully charged but the blue flashing light stops and my Edge says the radar is disconnected.  The radar icon flashes red on my edge.  If I turn the 510 back on it reconnects but eventually loses connection.  It apprears that the RTL 510 is shutting down for no reason.  I've resset the RTL510 several times.  No luck.

• I just purchased a Varia 510 and using it with an Edge 810 and a pair of Vector 3 pedals. I was experiencing the same disconnected message on my Edge unit. This happened several times within a few minutes of each connection. Once I got it to connect and stay connected, then it work fine for the next 30 minutes of my test ride. I will be doing a 100 mile ride tomorrow and will we how it goes. If it fails with my 810, then I will try it with my friends 1030 and his Vector 3 pedals.