This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RTL510 - No light mode needed

Hello

Just got my RTL510 this week and i general i am very happy about it.
But i dont understand that there is not a option for no light / no flashing when you ride at daytime. A mode with no light would be great and even better if the mode would make the light flash only when detecting cars from behind.
The original Garmin radar shows with its led lights when a car is closing in from behind. This is a nice feature when riding in groups because it not only alert the owner of the radar but also the guy/girl behind him/her.

• The new light while in the flash mode shows a long way out during daylight hours, why would you not want to give cars an early warning that you are riding on the side of the road? Could be wrong but I believe the new radar changes flash patterns when traffic approaches I'll have to check mine.
  • I've found that, even when the light is off (but the unit is powered on), the radar is actually active and will report to the head unit.
  • I've found that, even when the light is off (but the unit is powered on), the radar is actually active and will report to the head unit.

I thought the radar doesn't work in standby mode.

I did notice when cars are approaching the unit starts flashing in a different pattern.
  • You're correct...radar function is not active during standby mode but the radar can be active without turning the lights on.
  • When i hold the power bottom on for 2 sec it will turn on an the light is constant. I press again and it flashes. I press again and it flashes in another way. I press again the is no light and my Garmin edge 820 says it lost connection to the radar. So I guess the last mode is standby. Don’t get how you can have it with no light and it still reports to the Edge unit ?
  • This needs to be done using the Edge to control the light. Pair the radar as a light and then in the light network set the network to individual control. You should then find an option to switch the light off, without switching the radar off.
  • Ahh I found out that I paired my rtl510 as a radar. If I pair it as a light a can set it up in the menu of my edge 820.
    Now I just need to find out if it will flash when a car is approaching from behind even when i set it to no light.
  • I'm trying to pair my 510 as a Light to my Edge Explore, in addition to the existing pairing as Radar.   The EE searches but doesn't find a light, even though the RTL510 is powered up.  Any tricks to get it paired?

• Try the following:

Go to the radar sensor settings on the Edge Explore and look at the ANT+ ID for that sensor. Then start the process of manually adding a light sensor, and enter the same ANT+ ID. That's how I did it.

• @tmk2, that worked.  Thank you!!