This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Issues with Varia Radar halfway through ride

Hi all,

I am a new Varia Radar user. It is paired to my Edge 520 and on my second ride, about halfway through the ride I stopped getting notifications on my Garmin. The light was displaying correctly for traffic approaching behind me, and the Edge 520 still maintained the "upside down wifi" signal indicating that it was still in communication to the Varia Radar.

Has anyone else seen this behavior since the firmware update?

Thanks

Kevin
  • R88BUC we would encourage you to contact support in order for us to collect more information on what is going on and get this sorted out for you.

I Spoke to support today and after a couple of hours on the chat box the conclusion is the RTL 500 is faulty and have offered to exchange for a refurb or repair free of charge.
  • Thank you for the update R88BUC
  • I have the same problem with an Edge 820. Thanks for the info
  • was issue with disconecting radar fixed, I still have firmware 3.4 and am a bit worried to instal 3.8, when 3.4 works quire reliable. Have you noticed any improvements in car detection after 3.8?
  • Thank you for the update R88BUC

I have received a refurb RTL500 which pairs with my explore 1000 (both light and radar) but I don’t get any vehicle notification at all and light pattern does not change with passing vehicles. So i have gone from a unit that intermittently stop notification to one that is just a light, both units have newest firmware. I contacted garmin support and they say although slightly different for original problem they are working on a fix and added my name to the ticket. I now just have t wait for the upgrade without any indication of how long this will take.
    i would like to down grade the firmware to versions that did work together, so i wonder if you could advise the firmware numbers that i would be best to try. I’m thinking once i have them paired and working i can then upgrade to newest version this should at least get me back to square one.
  • What software version is on the RTL, it might need an update?
  • What software version is on the RTL, it might need an update?

Ahh this was one of supports first questions! Both edge and RTL are the newest 9.20 and 3.80. Both have been paired multiple time without issue except the vehicle alert. Edge has also been factory reset as this was supports final suggestion, but this made no difference. This is why my thinking says down grade both to firmware version where both worked satisfactorily, get them paired and working then update back to newest,just wondering which version to back date to.
    but of course the refurbed RTl could also be faulty!!!
  • When you switch the radar on what do the LEDs do?

If the calibration data is missing then after the unit has powered up the top LEDs do not flash it will be just the status LED (RGB) that will flash red.
  • Led’s All 8 on dim, then all off, then they come on one at a time left to right (battery level), then they go off one at a time from right to left. Green status light also goes off. Next all 8 then 4 centre lights flash alternately 8 or 9 times then the centre 4 flash. (That’s if the unit was previously switched off in flash mode)
    If the unit was switched off in solid mode after the battery level indication the two centre lights are on then the others come on two at a time (one each side of centre two working toward the edges) they all stay on for a number of seconds then go off two at a time working towards centre two which stay on. No status light once lights are in use mode! Hope this is clear and shines a little light on the situation.
  • Hello,
    same Problem with Edge 520. When ride ca. 30 minutes.
    I think its dangerous, you do not see that the connection is lost.
    ??????