This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia Lights battery indicator

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.
I've got my rear Varia light linked to my Edge 1030 and use the "Light Battery" field to monitor the battery level of the light (and radar). On the whole, I'm pretty happy with the battery life, so much so I get multiple rides out of it before i have to recharge.
However, it seems I can't rely on the battery indication to monitor this. When full, the battery indicator has 5 bars in the battery symbol. The other day, I left for a 40-ish minute ride, and the indicator had 3 bars. You would think this would be 60% if it's 3 out of 5. About 10 minutes in, it dropped to 2 out of 5 bars (40%??), and gave a warning "varia battery low". I still had 30 minutes or so to go, but I would've thought that it should be ok for a while.. It probably was only 5 minutes (maybe 8), before light out, battery flat.
Like I said, I'm pretty happy about the battery life, but if would be good if the battery scale displayed was improved. ie, low battery warning when it gets to the final bar, but still have an hour of charge left before it dies. At the moment, it seems that the top two bars account for 90% of the battery, and the last 10% of battery life (probably less) is spread over 60% of the charge indicator.
  • The bars are not really related to a % as the light does not report a %. The light can report a number of states. The Edge is then using some logic to map those states to the battery icon.

Below are the states support by the ANT+ protocol that the Edge is converting to give you the battery icon.
    [TABLE="border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 293"]new[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 293"]good[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 293"]ok[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 293"]low[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 293"]critical[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  • I just bought a brand new Varia rear radar/taillight and a Varia UT800 out front headlight - the latter gets about an hour and a half of first-press beam before the Edge 830 announces it's running out of juice. The Edge 830 is also theoretically and visibly dimming the beam for daylight conditions - is that normal battery life or do I have a dud unit?