This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia Rear Radar Lights switch themselves off during rides - VERY DANGEROUS!

Exactly the same problem as the earlier thread below https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/cycling/varia/1271060 - lights are on at start of the ride but if you check them again after say 15 mins and they have switched off! Only happening since update 3.70 - support says no problems but clearly they are wrong. Please treat as an urgent safety issue and fix / withdraw 3.70. Have had to go back to 3.40 (3.60 is no longer available).
  • I am still on the older firmware and I'm pretty sure mine did this on my ride saturday. I got back to my truck after a hilly 12 mile route and the blue light was on but there were no red lights lit on the side or face. Is it maybe a Connect IQ problem? I'm running a FR 935 as the radar display/control head with the 6.75 Beta SW.
  • What version do you have on the RTL?
  • Using the Edge 520 and not running CIQ. Version 3.40 seems okay and so was 3.60 for me but I think 3.70 replaced it as some people had problems.
  • You can add me to the list - I posted about the same experience I had with my RRL in the Edge 1030 forum yesterday https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/cycling/edge-1030-aa/1271950-1030-with-varia-rear-radar-light

I'd assumed it was an Edge 1030 'teething' issue as my RRL had been faultless with my previous Edge 1000, but as other people are having this issue with different head-end devices then I guess it's something in the Varia firmware.

As the OP says, this is a really dangerous bug. The trouble is, it seems to be at that "going nowhere" stage where Garmin support say they're not aware of any problems, which seems to mean they don't log the fault and therefore when the next person calls with the same problem they get the same answer and the problem never gets escalated.
  • I have reported these issue and we are investigating the problem. What type of network configuration are you running for those reporting the Radar lights shutting down? Are there other lights in your light network?
  • I'm using a Edge 520 and just the Radar, no other lights.
    I tried the settings "Automatic" and "Individuell with Max lights", but there was no difference.

I had the same problem with two different Radar Units ( A older one with a now broken USB Port and a brand new one ).
  • I too am using an Edge 520 and just the RRL, no other lights and 'individual' setting. I have found it occurs every time on actual rides in both 'timer' and 'device power up' modes. However to date I have not been able to make it happen when just testing off the bike by switching on the 520 and RRL, syncing and running the timer for 10 mins or so.
  • I have the same issue. It exhibits the same behaviour connected with my Edge 520 with and without the UT800 light connected. Once it turns itsefl off, it turns on again pressing the button and normally remains on.
  • SJT70: my light network consists of Edge 1000, Varia Bike Radar and Varia Head Light

I just got the replacement rear radar light as mentioned in the other thread and updated it to 3.70 before reading this. I'm not going for a ride until Tuesday now, but will report back if the replacement light acts in the same way (I assume it will).
  • My setup: Edge 520, HL 500 and RTL 501.
    With FW 3.70 the taillight turns itself off after a couple of minutes.
    It did not do that on FW 3.60, 3,40 or 3.00.
    I have reverted to FW 3.00 and it now works as expected.

Stig