This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why does my Varia Rear Radar Light stop being lit during rides?

I have it paired to an Edge 1000. I have the latest updates on both (radar=3.70 edge=14.40). I turn on the rear radar light first, then I turn on the Edge 1000. The light network is successfully formed and the rear radar light starts flashing. Then I start my ride.

Unfortunately during my recent rides I've started noticing that the rear radar light has stopped being lit. The radar still keeps notifying me of approaching traffic but the light itself stays off. I don't know what causes this or how long it takes to happen. But it seems very dangerous! Especially now I am doing more cycling at night this time of year.

I have tried both normal settings and high visibility settings on the Edge 1000 and it happens on both.

If I notice the rear light has stopped being lit then forcing it to flashing mode using an override on the Edge 1000 it starts flashing again. Then turning off the override mode on the Edge 1000 it continues flashing and doing its automatic frequency changing as traffic approaches - as I would expect all the time. I haven't noticed it stop being lit after this but it's really worrying in case it does again. So doing this procedure at the start of a ride may be a workaround, but I'm not sure - it still really worries me in case it turns off again.

Any thoughts on what is going on here? Is it a bug in the software that will be fixed?
  • Decided to check with a Garmin support agent, who was very helpful. Said there are no known issues. Went through a few steps to update and reset the device (which didn't work). So they will just replace the radar device now, which should fix the problem!
  • Its the same here after i installed the last Radar Update:
    Two - three minutes after i start the ride the light goes off while the radar is still working.
    The red light goes on again when i press the Power Button at the Radar one time.

Think ill try a Firmware downgrade to the last version until Garmin fixes the problem.
  • Had the same issue but only realised there was a problem when car drivers were beeping me when riding in the dark. Have notified Garmin so hopefully they will start to realise what a dangerous problem this is, no point having an expensive radar on the seatpost if you are also having to use your child's rear light to avoid being hit by other road users at night.
  • We have released Firmware 3.80 to address this issue. Thank you for reaching out.
  • Thanks SJT70, I'll give version 3.80 a test!

(Note my replacement rear radar light also exhibited the same symptoms on 3.70 as my original)
  • Does this work with the Varia RTL 510?? Garmin express will not update to 3.80